Fellow citizen's pool

Check to make sure the pipes from the pump to the filter are correct. My neighbors pool was barely filtering this year. Did a search here on TFP and the first hit was this problem. Sure enough, the pump line was hooked to the wrong inlet on the multivalve (there are arrow markers on the valve). In their case, when they backwashed, there was only a very weak flow, so maybe that isn't the issue, but worth a look.

The pipes were initially hooked up incorrectly by the pool service when opening this year. I hooked them up correctly, even doubted myself, quadruple checked over the last weeks. Backwashing and rinsing normally. Some leakage out of the waste pipe when pump is set to closed.

Not a ton of progress yesterday. psi went up 3, even with the addition of DE to the filter.

Another odd issue that I noticed is that after I added DE for the evening last night, I shut the pump off momentarily to replace the skimmer basket. Prior to turning off the pump, psi was at 18. When I turned the pump on, psi was back at "non-DE" 14 psi. Let run for a few minutes and never came up again. Backwashed the DE out, then readded, psi climbed normally. I had never observed that before. Normal? Not sure...

Clarity is improving quite a bit after lots of vacuuming to waste last weekend, early this week. Blue but fairly cloudy. I've been consistently putting DE in the sand filter to raise the pressure from 13 psi after backwashing to 16-17 psi. Lately without vacuuming, pressure has been rising to 20-21 psi after 24 hours and when backwashing, there is evidence of more material being removed.

Nearing the end... water is still slightly cloudy blue but FC is holding better and CC is down to 0.5 consistently. The filter has been constantly band-aided (is that a word?) by adding DE to get the pressure after backwash from 13.5 to about 16-17 psi. Backwashing when pressure rises to 20-21. Otherwise, pressure never rises as the sand is not doing really anything due to the excessive pump flow. Recommended that they upsize the filter and/or downsize the pump next season.

If I would have not been so stubborn about it being only a chemistry, mismanaged pool issue rather than that PLUS a filtration issue, the process could have gone much faster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.