Feeling Overwhelmed!

KellyS.2010

Apr 12, 2020
Garland, TX
So we are new to pool ownership and just moved into this house in March. But I feel like we just keep running into more and more problems with this pool and i'm really starting to regret buying a house with a pool as it is taking a lot more money than I anticipated. We had so many friends with pools telling us how easy and not expensive they are so we went for it. I'm not sure if maybe we just got unlucky in the timing of everything and things are just going to need redone all at once.

So after moving in it was clear we had an algae problem so we performed a SLAM. That took about a month after moving in because we had gotten so much rain for a couple weeks. Once we finished that, I decided I wanted to tackle the iron staining because it was pretty bad. So we followed the instructions here on how to do that. Now that we finished that (although some stains came back ?) we have been trying to rebalance the water but to no avail. Our SWG is not at all able to keep up the FC levels. I have had to supplement with about a gallon of LC each day just to keep it in the range we need.

Then we've noticed we feel like we are having to fill the pool up a lot. At first I thought we just didn't know any better because we are new to this, but now i'm wondering if there isn't some other problem. We have to top it off once to twice a week! And my water bill is crazy. We found a couple spots (photos attached) that we think may be leaking? We showed it to a friend that replasters pools and he said we could patch them ourselves with plaster. Is this the case?

We also were left with a CRAPPY pool deck of epoxy rock that hasn't been resealed in years so you can't walk outside barefoot without getting stabbed in the feet from a million loose rocks. Which....being barefoot by the pool is what is supposed to happen. So we got a quote on doing a new deck.

So basically, i feel super overwhelmed by all of this. I don't know where to start with the problems either or if i'm making up problems that aren't really problems? I'm just majorly in need of a calming voice and some guidance!

Attachments

• 20200513_090847.jpg
    20200513_090847.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 20200513_090833.jpg
    20200513_090833.jpg
    582.2 KB · Views: 31
As far as your SWCG - you have a very large pool. You do not show what size your SWCG is, but I suspect you are not running it long enough at a high enough generation %. Start with 24 hours at 100% generation. See if your FC holds/rises. What are your current test results?

Do a bucket test to see if it is evaporation (which can be high this time of year) or a leak. See Leak Detection - Trouble Free Pool

As far as your SWCG - you have a very large pool. You do not show what size your SWCG is, but I suspect you are not running it long enough at a high enough generation %. Start with 24 hours at 100% generation. See if your FC holds/rises. What are your current test results?

Do a bucket test to see if it is evaporation (which can be high this time of year) or a leak. See Leak Detection - Trouble Free Pool
So after the stain removal we were trying to get the chlorine back up. We were running the pump 24/7 at 100% and it still won't stay high enough. We could barely get it to 1. So after several days of waiting for it to do it's job I finally got LC to bring it up because I didn't want another algae outbreak. Yesterday I decided to clean the cell in case that was the problem but it barely had anything on it at all.

Most recent test results are -
FC 5
pH 7.5
TA 100 (this has been a struggle to keep down, got it to 80 and it's on the rise again)
CH 370
CYA 60
Salt 3200

I am worried I definitely have a leak somewhere because I had just added CYA and salt and they both dropped in a week. I will do the bucket test though.

As for wind, yes, it has been crazy windy here as well, so maybe that is just adding to the problem.

I assume you used ascorbic acid for stain removal? If so, that will consume a lot of FC until all the AA is gone.

Do not focus on the TA. Manage the pH. It will control the TA.

Yes we used AA. I have been managing the TA by the pH, I have had to lower pH a couple times to get it down, it just still seems to drift up fairly quickly.

Maybe I just didn't realize how long it takes to get through all the AA? Because it has been a couple weeks now since we finished that.

Kelly...I lived in a NYC apartment for 35 years....believe me, I had no idea how to manage a pool and I didn't want to pay a professional to do what I thought would be a simply job (!!!)
Four years later and I am still learning, but it IS do-able...just do your homework and learn what you need to get your chemistry right. Maybe consider some rain barrels if water is costly (I have a well and don't pay for water thank god.)
I look at it as a labor of love and some healthy exercise...I hope this helps. Dell free to reach out and vent anytime....Regards, Sue

Kelly...I lived in a NYC apartment for 35 years....believe me, I had no idea how to manage a pool and I didn't want to pay a professional to do what I thought would be a simply job (!!!)
Four years later and I am still learning, but it IS do-able...just do your homework and learn what you need to get your chemistry right. Maybe consider some rain barrels if water is costly (I have a well and don't pay for water thank god.)
I look at it as a labor of love and some healthy exercise...I hope this helps. Dell free to reach out and vent anytime....Regards, Sue
We actually did buy a rain barrel a month ago, but because of everything going on we still have not received it...and we're about to get several days of rain. :cry:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.