Feeling a shock when touching ground

Your going to love this, but this still may be a bonding issue and the light niche was not correctly bonded. Even lights need to bonded in addition to grounding.

From NEC 680.6:
Underwater Metal Forming Shells. Metal forming shells
and mounting brackets for luminaires and speakers must be
bonded to the equipotential grid.

So I had unhooked my pretty pool light for the past couple years and the other day I was contemplating a new pump, upgrading, etc and this whole light issue just got me crazy every time I talked about it. Now I have had countless electricians out here and no one could find this problem. I shut the power off, I opened up the switch box and shoved way up where you couldnt see it was the unstripped green solid copper wire that was supposed to be grounding the fixture. Stripped it, grounded the box, reconnected the switch, turned the power on and what do you know - no more shock.

Wow....can't believe this thread got resurrected. So happy you found your problem. We are pretty sure we know ours, but haven't been able to concretely fix it. We think we know it is a bonding issue. It simply wasn't code (as far as I can surmise) in our county to bond I vinyl lined pool with the concrete decking. The stray voltage exists but the lack of bonding is a problem. Also, recently somebody whose parents used to own this property told us there is a lot of iron in our ground here underground.....he wanted to attribute our frequency of lightning strikes to that. On that issue I have no idea if it true or a country tale.

I don't want to rain on the parade here but you have only found half your problem.

You have apparently found the source of the stray voltage.

But your pool still is not bonded. The level of bonding protection required is complicated. But I would think about some simple things to increase the bonding protection of your pool. A good electrician who understands pool bonding could help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.