FC levels and low tempatures

Jul 27, 2018
chapel hill, nc
I switched to BBB and chlorinating with straight bleach this summer. As fall approaches and temperatures drop, I'm trying to figure out how much bleach I need to add to the pool. I know from experience that algae is much less active in cool temperatures, but I don't see that reflected in the advice on pool chemistry or pool math. Am I missing something? Is there a temperature sensitive version of FC levels?
THanks!

Welcome to the forum!

Follow the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. Nothing magical about temperature and FC. The FC will not be consumed very fast in the winter.

TFP methods, or TFPC (Trouble Free Pool Care, we don't call it BBB anymore) work the same all year long. You test the water regularly, plug the results into PoolMath and add the amount of chlorine recommended. What you'll notice is that your pool will need less chlorine in the winter than in the summer, but the method for figuring out how much in every season is the same. Eventually you'll get a feel for your pool and can maybe test and dose less often in the winter.

Welcome to TFP!! ;)

There's still some of that going on, but the sun angle decreases that phenomenon. Heat plays a major role in consumption, too. The organics that "consume" chlorine are less likely to occur the colder the water gets. There's several things going on. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth! Pools are easier to take care of in winter, which makes up for, in part, the fact that we don't get to swim in them!! ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.