FC and CYA

brunnesa

Bronze Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
Tuttle Ok
First off thank you to all that help in the forum. I just replaced my Intex style pool that I had a SWCG on and never had a problem maintaining FC. I did not like the SWCG because every time I back washed my sand filter, I temporarily discolored my grass. With this new pool I have installed a 10 GPD Stenner pump for chlorine. I am thinking this way I still have chlorine automation and less salt to discolor the grass. The problem I am having is my pool is using a lot of chlorine. 1.2 gallons a day of 10%. I know this is high, but have slammed it 3 times and passed all criteria every single time. I am wanting to maintain my chlorine at 6 to 7 but it always drifts down to the 3 range before I add more. Is this due to the amount of CYA in the pool? Should I raise it to 50? The pool is in sunlight all day long with water temp of 92 degrees. Pool is perfectly clear and uses no chlorine overnight and at max .5 CC. I have been testing the pool once or twice daily. I recently changed the timer on the Stenner to inject part of the chlorine 3 times a day instead of just all at once hoping that will help. I just did that yesterday though. Thanks.

You do not provide what CYA you are at now but I would say in your climate at this time of year a CYA of 50 is very reasonable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.