FC and CC keep changing places in test and PH advice.

kython89

May 21, 2022
Central Illinois
Hi,

New pool owner as of July last year. Like everyone we wasted quite a bit of money at the pool store and using phosphate remover. Also we started off with test strips. I found TroubleFree part way through the season. Near the end of the season I started a SLAM as we've never really been able to keep the FC level up. Part way through the SLAM I was hospitalized with COVID and we had the pool closed a couple days after I got out of the hospital.

We opened to a pretty green pool. We couldn't see the bottom in the deep end (9 ft). We've been slamming the past several days and trying to get the CYA up but it dissolves slowly in a bucket. Skimmer socks are on order.

The FC and the CC keep changing places in the tests. From my limited understanding after reading your articles I would not expect this behavior. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong.

FC, CC (Most recent at the top)

It also feels like I'm having to use a lot of Chlorine. For instance I put in 242 oz of Chlorine (12.5%) this afternoon when the FC was at 5.0. That should have brought it to 11.8 but instead FC at 1.5 and CC at 5.0. I realize CYA plays into this buy an hours later seems like I should be getting better results.

I'm needing to raise my PH but understand that TA will rise with PH. TA is already too high so I've been trying to do it through aeration. The results don't appear to be great. Which is more important? Reducing TA or raising PH?

The pool is looking much better than when we first opened. The shallow end you can clearly make out the pattern on the bottom of the pool. The water color is aqua vs clear. The deep end if you look very close you can see the robot at the bottom. We are making progress it just seems slower than I would expect based on the levels.

The prior owners of the house didn't exactly know what they were doing. They always called the pool guy when it started to look a little green.

Here is the link to my Pool

Thanks!!!

Somehow I missed the Ammonia article in all the reading I did. I would agree with you based on that article it generally sounds like Ammonia. A couple days ago I added 242 oz of Bleach 12.5% at 9 PM. The next morning it measured 2.4 FC. While not great it did hold chlorine overnight. Something it generally didn't do very well last year. Do you still think Ammonia? The article makes me think it should have been closer to 0 the next morning. Or does that mean I'm nearing the end of getting this cleaned up?

Given my work schedule, aside from the weekend, I'm generally only am able to add chlorine once in the morning and a few times in the evening. Is this going to be a problem? Do I need to be adding it more frequently for it to be effective or for example if there was 20 ppm of Ammonia will adding 200 ppm of Chlorine over a longer period of time still clear it up?

Do you still think Ammonia?
Seems like it. Do the protocol as described in the article.
I'm generally only am able to add chlorine once in the morning and a few times in the evening. Is this going to be a problem?
Just slows things down. Instead of days or week can take weeks or a month to clear.

You first eliminate the ammonia, then work on any algae following the SLAM Process

I might be nearing the end of the Ammonia after 43 gallons of 12.5% liquid pool shock. The OCLT for last night to this morning was 2.6 to 2.0. CC was measuring at 0.2 most the day and was 0 tonight.

For the first time ever I tested, added chlorine, waited 1 hour, tested and the FC rose by the amount Pool Math said it should. The pool is also as clear as it has ever been. I'll add stabilizer either tomorrow of Saturday and work on balancing the Ph and TA.

I'm needing to raise my PH but understand that TA will rise with PH. TA is already too high so I've been trying to do it through aeration. The results don't appear to be great. Which is more important? Reducing TA or raising PH?

I was hoping for some advice on this. Is TA (120) or PH (7.2) the primary concern?

Thanks again!!! You saved me from feeding the beast with more CYA.

I was hoping for some advice on this. Is TA (120) or PH (7.2) the primary concern?
Nope, nothing to do here, move along.

Seriously, pH will rise naturally. Just keep the pH value starting with a "7." When it rises to 8, add muriatic acid (use PoolMath to help you with how much) to get it back to 7.4. This process will repeat. Over time your TA will come down. As your TA comes down naturally, your pH rise will slow.

GREAT JOB!!!

I might be nearing the end of the Ammonia after 43 gallons of 12.5% liquid pool shock. The OCLT for last night to this morning was 2.6 to 2.0. CC was measuring at 0.2 most the day and was 0 tonight.

For the first time ever I tested, added chlorine, waited 1 hour, tested and the FC rose by the amount Pool Math said it should. The pool is also as clear as it has ever been. I'll add stabilizer either tomorrow of Saturday and work on balancing the Ph and TA.
BTW, this passes for qualification for the end of SLAM
OCLT <1
CC <.5
Clear pool.

Celebrate Its Friday GIF by telenet

Now just maintain the appropriate FC for your CYA! FC/CYA Levels Stay at the high end of the recommended range for your CYA to protect from a high demand FC day. You Go!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.