Kauai
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Okay everyone. Family just got to town so more load on the pool than normal. All my levels are good now but should I increase chlorine while they are here?

Attachments

• IMG_2970.png
    IMG_2970.png
    450.7 KB · Views: 29
but should I increase chlorine
Yes. Swimming is safe between min and SLAM for your CYA.

Screenshot_20230327_210134_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230327_210207_Chrome.jpg

Notice how little wiggle room is between low target and min. Now notice how much wiggle room is between high target and SLAM.

Spike the FC with liquid chlorine. The SWG only makes 5.9 ppm per 24 hours and will take days to increase the FC significantly. Then let the SWG maintain the higher level.

shocked will ferrell GIF

Its really hard to interpret test results over such a long distance, and I could help so much more in person. My wife has a good eye for this stuff too, so she would have to tag along too. We can discuss the results and best course of action over dinner at Gaylords.

Its really hard to interpret test results over such a long distance, and I could help so much more in person. My wife has a good eye for this stuff too, so she would have to tag along too. We can discuss the results and best course of action over dinner at Gaylords.
Why of course. Hawaii is pretty nice this time of year. Except the fact of water temps climbing and me freaked of my pool turning green.

Yes. Swimming is safe between min and SLAM for your CYA.

View attachment 500014
View attachment 500015

Notice how little wiggle room is between low target and min. Now notice how much wiggle room is between high target and SLAM.

Spike the FC with liquid chlorine. The SWG only makes 5.9 ppm per 24 hours and will take days to increase the FC significantly. Then let the SWG maintain the higher level.
So I really should increase my cya 10pm to give myself some more “wiggle” room. May need to add some liquid chlorine too to get my levels up to around 8-9. The thing that gets me is all the pool info says cya of 40 TFC 1-2 I feel like I have to go against the grain of everything written on all labels.

So I really should increase my cya 10pm to give myself some more “wiggle” room.
Close but not quite. You should increase your CYA 10 ppm to better protect the FC the cell produces.

Then you should run the FC above target range for the 70 CYA.

Your cell won't gain alot quickly, so you need to boost the FC with liquid chlorine. Then the cell should be able to maintain it.
The thing that gets me is all the pool info says cya of 40 TFC 1-2 I feel like I have to go against the grain of everything written on all labels.
The industry that wants you to have a swamp, so they can sell you hundreds of dollars of harmful copper based potions and flocculants ? To mess you up so bad you have to drain and buy all new rebalancing chemicals ? Then trick you into having another swamp ?

Yeah. Forget them. Forget anything the label says about sanitation.

When you say above target range what is best? I have my TFC at 6.5 now should it be closer to 8 with a high swim load?

Above target range is exactly that. (8+ for 50 CYA)

Screenshot_20230327_210134_Chrome.jpg

Raise it appropriately based upon expected use. 2 swimmers are fine at your regular FC levels. 5 or 6 swimmers are fine at 8 to 10. 20 swimmers and you'd want full blown SLAM FC.

Reactions: Dawnamie
Yes. The target range for your CYA is 4-9 and I would keep it at the high end if you have a high bather load.

I too have a CYA of 60 and bumped my FC up to 11 last weekend when we had a bunch of people over for a graduation party (people are gross, especially little kids).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Alrighty going to test chlorine level this morning and adjust using liquid chlorine if needed and increase my SWG a bit.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.