Failing T-15 SWG Cell Experiment

The power wires make sense because they carry up to 8 amps, but the wires for the thermistor carry almost no current, so it just seems unnecessary.

I still think that it has something to do with identifying genuine cells by providing some sort of id tag that the system can use to read the cell.

I think HP is now regretting doing something similar:

But I should be able to verify if those are parallel wire connections. I have the old cable and so I can get the pin outs for each color wire and determine the resistance to the other three on Cell #3.

Reactions: JamesW
Their argument is that the cells are not “Safety Certified”.
Kureg did similar when the 2.0 model came out a while back. They were so kind to protect me and my device from unapproved use. They were sued and lost and now you can use any pod in them again.

• Wow
Reactions: JamesW and mas985
The warranty claim is for Canada. Can you find the same claim for the US?

For me it is moot since my controller is well outside the warranty period.

My experience is that the Hayward cell life is half what it used to be (cell#1 vs 2/3). So I will be going generic next time just to see if those claims are actually true. I am sure the life is less but some generics have a 3 yr warranty and the Haywards failed at 4 yrs so if the generics get 3 yrs or even 2 yrs, I will be happy since the cost is quite a bit less.

Anyway, Cell#3 was manufactured in 2018 (3E18227) but it only has two wires red and blue in that section and those are for the temperature sensor. So a newer cell doesn't even have those extra wires attached to anything. Maybe is was something they were doing at one time but no longer.

Also, I have broken up the glue blob in cell#2 pretty fine and there was no other metal, circuit boards or anything else. There was just a crimp connector that look like it connected the two wires together (Y & O). Maybe that is their "sophisticated" method of determining a genuine Hayward cell. If so, it wouldn't be difficult to spoof.

Reactions: Newdude and JamesW
[WEEK 2 - Cell#3]

Cell #3 has now been operating in T-15 Mode @ 45%/24hr for about 2 weeks now and cell amps are at -4.7A/+4.9A so much more balanced than Cell #2. FC is 6 ppm so over twice the production rate as Cell #2 at EOL which is consistent with the amperage and % settings. This Cell #3 was in better starting condition than was Cell #2 and I suspect it will last longer than Cell #2 did.

Reactions: Newdude and JamesW
[WEEK 6 - Cell#3]
Cell #3 has now shut off due to low salt on T-15 Mode. What is interesting is that during the past week, the average salt level has been toggling between 2400 and 2300 ppm depending on which polarity it was running on. So it appears that the unit does not shut down until both polarities are below the 2400 ppm threshold. Current right now is running about -3.8A/+4.2A. I have now switched over to T-5 Mode and it is running once again. I am not yet getting the calcium mush like I was with Cell#2 but I suspect that will eventually happen as the Cell#3 gets closer to EOL.

Yes but what I was trying to explain was that the average salinity was changing with each change in polarity probably because the amp level is so different (at this stage) between polarities. So on the plus polarity, the average salinity was reading 2400 ppm (4.2A) while on the negative polarity the average salinity was reading 2300 ppm (-3.8A). Not until the average salinity on BOTH polarities was reading 2300 ppm, did the unit shut down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
UPDATE

It has been a while since I posted last but this old cell is still running strong. Current is a little over 3 amps at around 3000 ppm (actual level from test and not SWG reading). I still think I have quite a bit of life left.

I wonder if it would even be worth it to buy old "failed" cells on eBay. There seems to be a lot of life left after apparent cell failure.

I'm not familiar with the Hayward brand setups.

Are you telling the controller you have a larger or smaller cell than you have, to trick it into going longer?

I never got rid of my old cell that died last year, just left it setting on the ground near the equipment, under my deck. Kinda tempted to try plugging it in and saving the current one for later.

I'm not familiar with the Hayward brand setups.

Are you telling the controller you have a larger or smaller cell than you have, to trick it into going longer?
Yes, I am configuring the controller for a T-5 cell (smaller) even though the old cell is a T-15 model (larger).

As SWG cells age, they behave like smaller cells because of surface degradation so if you can configure the controller to believe that the cell is smaller than it really is, it may continue to work normally albeit with less CL production.

The main purpose of this spoof is to prevent the controller from alarming and shutting off as the cell fails.

I wonder if it would even be worth it to buy old "failed" cells on eBay. There seems to be a lot of life left after apparent cell failure.
I have a bunch of old cells leftover. The biggest problem I can see is that it's unknown how long a used T-15 cell will operate in T-5 mode. A couple days, a couple weeks, or a couple months? Each cell will be different. It's not like there is a hour clock built into the cells. Theoretically, Hayward could do so but they just want to get thru the three warranty any way they can and if the cell does 6000 hours or 10,000, Hayward could care less so why tell the customer anything and get more phone calls.. The more unaware a consumer is the better for Hayward is their thinking imo..

I have a bunch of old cells leftover. The biggest problem I can see is that it's unknown how long a used T-15 cell will operate in T-5 mode.
A couple days, a couple weeks, or a couple months? Each cell will be different. It's not like there is a hour clock built into the cells.
So why is that a problem? There is plenty of warning before the cell completely fails in T-5 mode. At <2700 ppm salt reading, a low salt warning shows up but it is just a warning and nothing happens. At <2500ppm, the unit will shut down. But again, this does not happen overnight so you can easily plan for the eventual failure. It is a fairly slow and predictable process.

Theoretically, Hayward could do so but they just want to get thru the three warranty any way they can and if the cell does 6000 hours or 10,000, Hayward could care less so why tell the customer anything and get more phone calls.. The more unaware a consumer is the better for Hayward is their thinking imo..
Hayward would never condone doing this so I am not sure I see your point here. This isn't something where the manufacture needs to get involved. The only point here I am trying make is that there is more life to the cell than what the unit indicates.

The first experiment I did was with a very old cell but I managed to get 56 extra days of operations with the cell energized for 1000 hours and 24 lbs of CL production.

The second experiment which is still ongoing, has been running for 244 days, 817 hrs of production, and 35 lbs of CL. The unit is reading an average salt level of 3600 ppm in T-5 mode so there is a way to go for this one.

From my perspective, if a single cell were not able to keep up, I would just replace the cell. Too much work vs benefit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support