Aug 3, 2015
Grants Pass, OR
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Good afternoon,

It appears the thermal overload on my motor is kicking in some afternoons. I have a motor on order, but I'm a bit concerned about the Ecomatic SWG cell. If the pump quits while the cell is on, is there potential for damage? The manual doesn't specifically mention a dead pump, but does mention both a flow and gas sensor which, I would think, would cut out the power to the cells in such a situation.

I suppose I could test the theory... carefully and briefly.

Just wondering if this has been discussed and such.

RW,

Cells can explode if the cell gets power, and the pump is not running, and the flow switch (or sensor) is bad.

While it can be a problem, you'd have to have more than one failure at the same time. This can happen, and has happened, but is unlikely to happen.

You would not want to run this way for weeks, but I would not worry about a day or so.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: markayash
RW,

Cells can explode if the cell gets power, and the pump is not running, and the flow switch (or sensor) is bad.

While it can be a problem, you'd have to have more than one failure at the same time. This can happen, and has happened, but is unlikely to happen.

You would not want to run this way for weeks, but I would not worry about a day or so.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Well... nothing like a little Hindenburg action amongst friends, eh?

Yeah, I'm gonna' change out that motor ASAP. Thanks!

Now if I were to test it by shutting down the pump manually, any idea how long I should expect the sensors to do their jobs, i.e. how long before I should restart the pump to keep from "OH THE HUMANITY!!!" ?

Almost immediately the cell should shut down.
Huh. I tried it for about 10 seconds and restarted.

Tried it again and started counting in my head, but then thought I should use the stopwatch on my phone for better accuracy... but she wouldn't fire up again. Seems like she was on the brink and me killing the cooling fan didn't help.

Of course I immediately shut down the SWG too.

So now I literally have 2 ice packs laying on the motor. I sure hope there isn't a ton of H in my filter. I turned the valve to "waste" so I could vent it into the sewer system a-la Christmas Vacation. But I want to get some more solar heat too while the sun's out.

So is "Almost instantly" more than 10 seconds? Or could I have a failing sensor or 2?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.