Failed Pentair Intelliflow VSF Drive board PN 356880 (burned contacts)

Sneaky D

Aug 2, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi All-

Has anyone seen a failure like this for Intelliflow VSF drive board? I believe PN 356880. It looks like one of the contacts either got hot and burned up or there was a failed component in the board that basically shorted this leg of the 220V and that connection was the weak link. No breakers were tripped. This is at our rental property, looks like pump was installed mid 2019 :-(

We are going to try a warranty claim but stills wondering any info about this failure.
Anyone know if any other drive boards are compatible and or if there is a newer version?
Found one on ebay about $500.
Anyone seen this as a pattern failure?

I'll attach pics in a sec

Attachments

• IMG_6245.jpeg
    IMG_6245.jpeg
    326.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6250.jpeg
    IMG_6250.jpeg
    311.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6248.jpeg
    IMG_6248.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6252.jpeg
    IMG_6252.jpeg
    495.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6251.jpeg
    IMG_6251.jpeg
    433.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6249.jpeg
    IMG_6249.jpeg
    305.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6244.jpeg
    IMG_6244.jpeg
    333.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6243.jpeg
    IMG_6243.jpeg
    315.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6241.jpeg
    IMG_6241.jpeg
    344.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6242.jpeg
    IMG_6242.jpeg
    423.8 KB · Views: 18
I ohmed out the burned connector to the (heat sink) and to the other connector and no short. Wonder if it was just a bad contact, got hot and maybe caused an arc flash… depending what happens with the warranty might try to clean the trace on the board and figure out a way to get power to it and see what happens.

Hi All-

Has anyone seen a failure like this for Intelliflow VSF drive board? I believe PN 356880. It looks like one of the contacts either got hot and burned up or there was a failed component in the board that basically shorted this leg of the 220V and that connection was the weak link. No breakers were tripped. This is at our rental property, looks like pump was installed mid 2019 :-(

We are going to try a warranty claim but stills wondering any info about this failure.
Anyone know if any other drive boards are compatible and or if there is a newer version?
Found one on ebay about $500.
Anyone seen this as a pattern failure?

I'll attach pics in a sec
I have the same issues and the pictures that you attached look just like mine. Please let me knows the outcome of your fix.

We were able to get Pentair to warranty the board but was just outside of warranty. If that doesn’t work Perry’s pool pumps in Phoenix can repair the board but I’m not sure where you live. I talked to one of the guys at Perry’s and they were going to repair it pretty close to the same way I was going to do it. I still have our old board I might repair and test. Will post up the pics here so it will help others.

Basically they were just going to solder a wire on the burned trace that runs into the board. I was going to use an eyelet wire connector and use a small screw/nut to attach it to the remaining part of the trace that burned.

Not sure, but that white streak makes it look like water intrusion. The dirty appearance of the insides of the board enclosure is another indicator of a defective seal. Might be as simple as screws not tight. As @Sneaky D said, if you're extremely lucky and are able to restore the vaporized conductor, you might still have a working board.

Not sure, but that white streak makes it look like water intrusion. The dirty appearance of the insides of the board enclosure is another indicator of a defective seal. Might be as simple as screws not tight. As @Sneaky D said, if you're extremely lucky and are able to restore the vaporized conductor, you might still have a working board.
At first I thought the same thing but after looking over the top cover I'm confident it wasn't water intrusion. We live in Phoenix and it hadn't rained prior to failure. I think it may have been a hot bead of solder bouncing across the board. Still haven't had the chance to mount the new contact and test but we will see.