Fafco solar panels as they approach 20 years - is solar worth it?

aquaman

Gold Supporter
May 28, 2008
Pleasanton, CA
Hi,
Trying to stay one topic at a time. Let's say my 1st ever leak this year is one of many to come...
There will come that day when full replacement is considered.
Do any of you feel your systems are essential comfort worth the hardware costs? Never mind that for years, I had been using a separate pump for the solar, and during an equipment review a pool company eliminated that pump and electricity cost. Hardware that is not aesthetically pleasing? Hardware that took up the space that I could have used for photovoltaic panels? (I'm not sure photovoltaic is a good deal in Cal NOW that PGE pays poorly for what you would return to the grid -- but that is for another website :) )
Yes, bath water is nice, when it is bath water, but then algae wants a home when you let down your guard.
With no cover and North Cal nights fairly cool I can lose a lot of heat overnight and some summer weeks over the years, I have been underwhelmed.
How do you see it?

Hi,
Trying to stay one topic at a time. Let's say my 1st ever leak this year is one of many to come...
There will come that day when full replacement is considered.
Do any of you feel your systems are essential comfort worth the hardware costs? Never mind that for years, I had been using a separate pump for the solar, and during an equipment review a pool company eliminated that pump and electricity cost. Hardware that is not aesthetically pleasing? Hardware that took up the space that I could have used for photovoltaic panels? (I'm not sure photovoltaic is a good deal in Cal NOW that PGE pays poorly for what you would return to the grid -- but that is for another website :) )
Yes, bath water is nice, when it is bath water, but then algae wants a home when you let down your guard.
With no cover and North Cal nights fairly cool I can lose a lot of heat overnight and some summer weeks over the years, I have been underwhelmed.
How do you see it?
A cheap bubble wrap cover keeps the water warmer than solar heating ever did in my experience growing up with solar. I dont have either now, but the family back home in CA just got a bubble cover thats made a big difference.

Reactions: kul and mas985
I live in No CA as well.

A cover can increase water temperatures by over 10F given the right conditions. But they are a PITA to use which is why I don't use one anymore.

I do have solar and am glad I do to add some heat to the water. Unlike with a gas heater, I don't mind losing the solar heat overnight without a cover although it does increase water usage.

Pick your poison.

Reactions: kul
Thanks for replies.
If you had to replace 100% panels would you?
That really is somewhat dependent on how long you and your pool will still be together :) And whether that harlot solar electricity comes in like a homewrecker.

Bubble cover -- my wife fit one into the hot tub once and even that was poop show - plant debris is not easily netted, when plastic is in the way. In the pool - too many angles and I'm not the kinda guy who would maintain that.

Attachments

• IMG_9094.jpg
    IMG_9094.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for replies.
If you had to replace 100% panels would you?
Do you really have to replace 100% of the pool panels? I am more of a repair rather than replace kind of guy. It shouldn't be that difficult to repair leaks in most panels.

I added my panels in 2005 and they are still going strong although they are EPDM panels which are much thicker than standard panels.

Reactions: aquaman