Extremely high chlorine levels after service by tech

FYI - your local Home Depot ($36/4 gal) and Walmart ($23/ 4 gal) list liquid CL as being available. Leslie's lists theirs at $34/ 4 gal. So get over to Walmart. Your pool is relatively small, but lay in a stock of a few cases (2-4), until you see how it all goes. You'll need a bit less than 1 qt to raise the pool by 4 ppm (but use the Pool Math calculator here for the actual amounts to add). Use it for "shock" (or the far better SLAM process detailed on this site). Your tabs are adding CYA to an already too high situation, so you may want to consider stopping until you get the level way down. You'll have to manually test and add liquid, daily, though. The tabs will always continue to slowly increase the CYA over time, so those levels will have to be watched periodically. As you questioned, the only solution is to partially drain and refill to get the level down again. But won't be often - as a wild guess, maybe once a year.

Reactions: bronc85 and Newdude
FYI - your local Home Depot ($36/4 gal) and Walmart ($23/ 4 gal) list liquid CL as being available. Leslie's lists theirs at $34/ 4 gal. So get over to Walmart. Your pool is relatively small, but lay in a stock of a few cases (2-4), until you see how it all goes. You'll need a bit less than 1 qt to raise the pool by 4 ppm (but use the Pool Math calculator here for the actual amounts to add). Use it for "shock" (or the far better SLAM process detailed on this site). Your tabs are adding CYA to an already too high situation, so you may want to consider stopping until you get the level way down. You'll have to manually test and add liquid, daily, though. The tabs will always continue to slowly increase the CYA over time, so those levels will have to be watched periodically. As you questioned, the only solution is to partially drain and refill to get the level down again. But won't be often - as a wild guess, maybe once a year.
To expand on this, the price for chlorine will depend on your area and is for the prepackaged chlorine. Most pool stores (Leslie's included) will have a stand where you can pickup refilled 2.5 gallon jugs. The first fill is (I think) $14 because you pay the deposit on the jug. The refills are around $9. My local Pinch-A-Penny has the refills for $7.25, but I wouldn't let them suck a fart from my b-hole (see story in my signature for why) so I pay a few bucks more at Leslie's.

Look for these jugs on a table close to the register:

iu

Set the empty jugs under the table and grab a full jug from the top of the table. My Leslie's refills them every morning and afternoon and restocks their bulk three times a week.

Reactions: bronc85 and Newdude
I should note, as a decades long (now reformed) tab user...as the season goes along, and the CYA levels slowly increase, you have to bump up the amount the chlorinator sends to the pool, which also means more CYA..which means another increase....
So a partial drain and refill will always be in your future. But not frequent. The trade off is to use liquid CL, but that takes almost a daily commitment. The only other solution is the SWCG, but is a comparatively large initial cost....

Reactions: bronc85
I should note, as a decades long (now reformed) tab user...as the season goes along, and the CYA levels slowly increase, you have to bump up the amount the chlorinator sends to the pool, which also means more CYA..which means another increase....
So a partial drain and refill will always be in your future. But not frequent. The trade off is to use liquid CL, but that takes almost a daily commitment. The only other solution is the SWCG, but is a comparatively large initial cost....
One item to note; OP won’t close his pool in winter as McAllen temps are quite a bit higher than your area in MN. So OP will use a lot more tabs necessitating more frequent drainings.

A big reason tabs are so poor of a choice in Texas compared to a SWCG.

One item to note; OP won’t close his pool in winter as McAllen temps are quite a bit higher than your area in MN. So OP will use a lot more tabs necessitating more frequent drainings.

This is exactly right. Being in Central Florida, I also do not close my pool. My kid even swims year-round. I don't because less than 82 degree water makes me sing soprano.

Tabs can still have a place, so long as you're monitoring what they introduce. If it's the summer, your CYA is a bit on the low side, your pH is managed, and you're going out of town for a few days, boost your FC with LC and a tab in a floater will take care of you. In the winter months, it's not as big of a deal, because daily chlorine consumption goes down significantly. I had to do a no-drain exchange just a few months ago. Mine was for a different reason than CYA, but it's a huge PITA. Even more so that whatever excuse you can find to not just use liquid chlorine - trust me.

A SWCG is on my upgrades list for next pool season because with as tired as I already am of daily chlorine adds, it's still better than the headache of dealing with trichlor tabs.

So very true...but not having lived the pool life in Texas, I deliberately tried to be vague about the drain/refill issue, without being too vague and not killing all his joy. Just "lucky" here in Minn. Pool HAS to be partially lowered in late Oct. and refills magically by late April (snow). In the few times I tested, at the beginning of the season I could be at 30 CYA, and near 80 by the end. But his numbers and timeline may be wildly different due to temps, never shutting it down, etc. Now with the SWCG, I may actually have to buy some CYA for next spring!

Ok. Just to recap what went down.

Pool service jacks your CYA off the charts.
The FC could no longer sanitize due to all the CYA.

The pool store has you neutralize your FC, when in fact you needed lots more.

They report the CYA is 50 when it's well over 100.

Fire. Them. All.

We got you now. And Welcome.
lol, not to mention that the FC was '19' when it was basically zero, lol

Reactions: Newdude

Pardon my ignorance, what is OP? And yes is hella hot down here 🔥The pool does have very good shade though as it is covered by two big trees, so I guess it does not get that much direct sunlight as a pool without shade would.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To expand on this, the price for chlorine will depend on your area and is for the prepackaged chlorine. Most pool stores (Leslie's included) will have a stand where you can pickup refilled 2.5 gallon jugs. The first fill is (I think) $14 because you pay the deposit on the jug. The refills are around $9. My local Pinch-A-Penny has the refills for $7.25, but I wouldn't let them suck a fart from my b-hole (see story in my signature for why) so I pay a few bucks more at Leslie's.

Look for these jugs on a table close to the register:

iu

Set the empty jugs under the table and grab a full jug from the top of the table. My Leslie's refills them every morning and afternoon and restocks their bulk three times a week.
Thanks for expanding on this and addint all that detailed info including photo. I called my local Leslie's and inquired about the chlorine refills, they said they do not offer that. But they do offer liquid chlorine (Sodium hypochlorite) in gallon bottles for purchase, do you mind telling me if this is the one I need? Liquid Chlorine 4-Pack of 1 Gallon Bottles (here it sells for $30.59 for the 4 pack 1 gallon case)

Thank you!!

Reactions: SumOfOneInteger
Thanks for taking the time in doing price availability research in my area! Greatly appreciate your info as well. I will shut off the chlorinator and stop adding Pool Shock (73% Calcium Hypochlorite) and I will use the liquid chlorine instead, at least until I resolve high CH and CYA levels. Thanks!

Thanks for expanding on this and addint all that detailed info including photo. I called my local Leslie's and inquired about the chlorine refills, they said they do not offer that. But they do offer liquid chlorine (Sodium hypochlorite) in gallon bottles for purchase, do you mind telling me if this is the one I need? Liquid Chlorine 4-Pack of 1 Gallon Bottles (here it sells for $30.59 for the 4 pack 1 gallon case)

Thank you!!
That's it, but for the price, you'd be better off going to Walmart
Even Lowe's & Home Depot can't beat Walmart, unfortunately.

That's it, but for the price, you'd be better off going to Walmart
Even Lowe's & Home Depot can't beat Walmart, unfortunately.
Don’t forget that HD / Lowe’s will price match the 10% Pool Essentials Walmart price. More work to get the price match, but if significantly closer than Walmart, may be worth it.

Reactions: SumOfOneInteger
Just a quick update on how things are going here, I am in the process of completing a 3rd partial pool drain, the numbers are getting better. The CH reading after the 2nd partial pool drain was 800 ppm CH (originally 1,460 ppm CH) CYA is still off the charts but getting better. I used Superior Pump 91330 1/3 HP .

Question, can you please advise me on what valve settings I should set to use the vacuum? I have "The Pool Cleaner" vacuum. Or do I just plug in vacuum with current settings?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20230723_202104.jpg
    20230723_202104.jpg
    498.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Untitled design (1).jpg
    Untitled design (1).jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230724_182910.jpg
    20230724_182910.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230724_182812.jpg
    20230724_182812.jpg
    625.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230724_231542.jpg
    20230724_231542.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: JupiterFL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.