Camarillo, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I cleaned my Pentair FNS+60 DE filter a few weeks ago and it has developed a leak under the belt clamp. I generously lubed the o-ring and have tightened the clamp so that the springs touch and even a turn or two beyond that. I believe the filter assembly was installed with the pool 20+ years ago, and I know the o-ring is at least 5 years old (that's how long we've owned the house). Should I expect to replace the o-ring every so often, or is this more likely a case where I just need to open it up and clean and re-lube the o-ring and filter assembly mating surfaces? Thanks!

You should inspect the seal ring when you open the filter. Look for nicks or where it was squeezed and out of shape. If over 5 yrs old, it is probably safer to replace it as sometimes buildup occurs on the seal which is hard to remove as you do not want to stretch the seal ring. Bring the seal to pool store to ensure you get the right one as Pentair changed the seal design on the new filters, but the pool store should carry both types. These can be finicky when you reinstall it. Ensure you have the support band behind it. You don't need to overtighten as you do not want to damage the threaded rod.

Reactions: nobody291

I have found that they go bad about a week before you buy a new one... :mrgreen:

I have two DE filters and the bands on both of them have stretched. I have to tighten them way past 'springs touching' point in order not to have a leak.

When I tighten the band, it sounds as if I am torturing a pig... :)

I now keep a new O-ring on hand just in case.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Eric,

My thought is that is has to be tight enough so that it does not leak.. As the band stretches with age, I have to keep tightening it further.

What I try to do is look at how close the ends of the band are before I take the band off. Then, when I put it back on, I try to get the same spacing between the ends of the bands.

I do use a rubber mallet to tap the band as I tighten it.

I 'almost' hope that I break it so that I can finally get rid of this DE filter and go with a large cartridge filter. That is what I have at my house and love it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: nobody291
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.