Expansion joint Issue

LoretSD

Sep 6, 2022
San Diego
Moved from HERE

View attachment 444915
View attachment 444921
Hello guys , hoping to get some opinions. I noticed that there is no expansion joints around my raised spa or around my raised bond beam. My pool builder said typically they are only done on the flat side against coping. However, I think he’s not being honest with me. Some Slabs against the spa and raises bond beam are surrounded by dirt which might offset some of the pressure when the slabs expand/contract. Im concerned that there will be damage to the tiles/structure in the future. A lot of the walkway that was poured up against the raised beam actually cracked quickly and now they’re gonna replace several of those slabs . Im not sure if they cracked because there was no expansion joints. What do you guys think ?
I have similar concerns. Our pool contractor did pour in place concrete coping. We had another contractor pour concrete around the pool. The pool contractor is concerned there might be an issue with expansion because the foam padding in the expansion joint between the coping and the rest of the concrete does not go all the way down to the dirt (see picture). He also did not leave an expansion joint on the side against the spa. We agree with pool contractor's concerns but wanted to see other opinions if this could be problematic. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1583 copy.pdf
    150.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.