Excessive chlorine use?

ldelatorre

Jul 3, 2018
Seminole, FL
I've notice my pool is using (or losing) too much chlorine. I bring the level up to the high end of the recommended level by Pool Math app and 3 days later it test zero free chlorine. Water temperatures are hovering between 84-88F. The pool is in a screen cage so less sun. Is this normal? Could it be the chlorine I'm buying not what the label says?

Here's my recent log:
==========================================
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Plaster
Volume: 10300 gallons
-----------------------------------------
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 0.0 (yesterday)
CC: 0.5 (3 days ago)
pH: 7.7 (yesterday)
TA: 100 (yesterday)
CH: 320 (yesterday)
CYA: 60 (9 days ago)
TEMPERATURE: 88° (yesterday)
CSI: 0.20 (yesterday)
==========================================
Chemical Addition 04-21-2023 @ 05:35 PM
+ 113 FluidOunces of Bleach
Test Results 04-21-2023 @ 04:26 PM
Free Chlorine: 0.0
pH: 7.7
Total Alkalinity: 100
Calcium Hardness: 320
Temperature: 88°F
CSI: 0.20
Chemical Addition 04-19-2023 @ 05:46 PM
+ 11 FluidOunces of Baume31
Chemical Addition 04-19-2023 @ 05:44 PM
+ 82 FluidOunces of Bleach
Test Results 04-19-2023 @ 05:39 PM
Free Chlorine: 2.5
Combined Chlorine: 0.5
pH: 8.0
Temperature: 86°F
CSI: 0.54
Chemical Addition 04-18-2023 @ 05:54 PM
+ 76 FluidOunces of Bleach

Pools typically use 3-4ppm of chlorine per day. What was the level you raised it to and what was it at the end of the day? TFP would recommend an Overnight Chlorone Loss Test. (OCLT)

Reactions: Newdude
I,

I just think you need to test and add Liquid Chlorine every day, until you understand how much FC your pool uses each day.

You might want to think about a Stenner pump to automatically add chlorine to your pool, or better yet, convert to a Saltwater pool. Saltwater pools use the salt in the pool water to make their own chlorine.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yes I've been thinking about an automated system to add liquid chlorine. I think last year I was doing 64 oz every other day. I just figured I ask here what other people were doing and how often you normally have to add it. I do like the old school way of simple liquid chlorine and acid when needed.

Reactions: Newdude
Yes I've been thinking about an automated system to add liquid chlorine. I think last year I was doing 64 oz every other day. I just figured I ask here what other people were doing and how often you normally have to add it. I do like the old school way of simple liquid chlorine and acid when needed.
You could certainly try the OCLT to see if algae is helping consume some since you’ve been spending lots of time with no chlorine in the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.