Bronze Supporter
Mar 13, 2016
San Diego, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I first put my new 614iQ in the water yesterday, one day after a good rain from Tropical Storm Hilary. It did a great job on leaves--had to empty it twice during the cycle yesterday. (Well actually that seems to stop the cycle so you have to start over--how do you pause this thing?)

I'm concerned, though, at how poorly it does the walls. After a total of over six hours in the pool, I've got green algae stripes in several places, and it seems to just ignore one wall in the deep end. The pool is cloudy (I'm working on that) and I have intentionally NOT done much brushing because I wanted to see what this robot would do. Kind of disappointed--I think my Kreepy, when it was healthy, did a better job getting the walls.

I'll post a short video below. Any suggestions?

Does it get up to the water line?

I've never had algae so don't have a clue how it would do on that?

Usually these basic models don't have a <pause> but it your remote should for the money?

I see only one water output, my dolphin equivalent has 3 or 4 where it pushes out water which helps it climb.

Last edited:
Even the remote phone app, as far as I can tell, only allows you to stop the cycle, not pause it.

Yes it occasionally climbs to the waterline, so I know it can. And it does fine dislodging algae where it goes. This early video, taken before I thought to remove the old Kreepy hose, demonstrates both:

The problem is, it doesn't go up to the waterline often enough, and even lower down, it has missed stripes of the wall even after 2 1/2 cycles.

Last edited:
The problem I see with it going up is that compared to mine, mine has outlets on the top and sides that are outlets for a bit of power push to make it climb. Just looking at yours, I would assume its underpowered with only that one output spot??
Does your remote allow you to specify "walls only"? "floors only"?

With that much detritus material I would just run the device multiple times to get the pool clean, then see how it maintains it.
At least that's what *I* would do? I'm of the thoughts that those devices are best to maintain a clean pool, but shouldn't be counted on to clean a pool of a *lot* of debris. Others feel differently, so YMMV.

Reactions: Newdude
Thanks. That single rear-facing jet is pretty powerful--it has no trouble reaching the waterline when it "wants" to (hard not to ascribe a personality to the thing). It has two modes, bottom only or bottom/wall/tile line. It actually did a great job on the floor debris--after about four hours on the first day, there were only a few leaves left on the bottom:

20230821_1710.After cleaning about 4 hours.jpg

I'll run it again today but I guess I'm going to have to manually clean the walls.

Ran it five hours today (two cycles). Before the second cycle, I accepted the offer to upgrade the firmware, which gave me Control Box V21C25 and Robot V21E24. After the second cycle, a total of 11 hours over three days, some of the walls especially in the deep end still have not been cleaned.

Here's a time lapse of one hour of cleaning after the firmware upgrade. I count it coming up to the tile line 13 times, or about once every 4.6 minutes:

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.