Everything going through sand filter

Aug 2, 2013
We have a Sta-Rite T-210WF sand filter with a 1 1/2 hp pump on our 16x32 above ground pool. We have been getting some sand at the bottom of our pool and now there are bugs getting stuck in my saltwater chlorinator (which is after my sand filter). I pulled the top off the filter to see if there were any visible channels but I didn't see any. I did a complete deep cleaning of the filter and replaced the whole top plug with new spider gasket. This did not stop the issue. Bugs get through, sand comes through, and when I pour stabilizer into my skimmer, it comes right through the filter as well.

Originally when there was sand in the pool, I was thinking that maybe one of the laterals may have cracked, but that would not explain how bugs and stabilizer is getting through.

Any thoughts?

You're going to have to empty that filter out and look for a cracked standpipe or a cracked or broken lateral. If something as big as CYA granules is getting through, you aren't filtering at all. And sand should always stay on the dirty side of the filter, never back into the pool (clean) side.

Open the drain and let the water out. Open the tank and use a (clean) wet-n-dry shop vac to get the sand out. Rumor has it that setting the vacuum in a wheelbarrow before starting makes it easier to move. Dump the wet sand out on a tarp or an old shower curtain to keep it clean for reuse. Your filter manual will have directions on filling it up. Don't forget to cap the standpipe so you don't drop sand down inside it.

If there was just sand in the pool, it would make sense that it may be a broken lateral, but that would not explain how bugs and stabilizer would go right through. I'll open it again tomorrow to see if mt standpipe may have issues near the top (above the sand).

You're going to have to empty that filter out and look for a cracked standpipe or a cracked or broken lateral. If something as big as CYA granules is getting through, you aren't filtering at all. And sand should always stay on the dirty side of the filter, never back into the pool (clean) side.

Open the drain and let the water out. Open the tank and use a (clean) wet-n-dry shop vac to get the sand out. Rumor has it that setting the vacuum in a wheelbarrow before starting makes it easier to move. Dump the wet sand out on a tarp or an old shower curtain to keep it clean for reuse. Your filter manual will have directions on filling it up. Don't forget to cap the standpipe so you don't drop sand down inside it.

My first thought would be that you had a bad spider gasket and when you replaced it, you got the topworks orientation off a hole or two; or 180º. If that's not the case, then like Richard said, check the standpipe and standpipe seal.

Did you replace the handle spring when you replaced the spider gasket? If that gets weak it will allow debris to bypass the filter.

Can you take a picture of the setup. My best guess is as Dave's, you probably assembled it incorrectly as i cant see a dent or a mark to align the cap as my SandDollar filter has. Second, if the pressure is high enough the asembly will lift and water will flow back to pool without running through the filter, that could explain it.

Can you take a picture of the setup. My best guess is as Dave's, you probably assembled it incorrectly as i cant see a dent or a mark to align the cap as my SandDollar filter has. Second, if the pressure is high enough the asembly will lift and water will flow back to pool without running through the filter, that could explain it.

Attachments

• 032E7D0E-EBFC-4BDF-A400-63CA1E064CC3.jpeg
    032E7D0E-EBFC-4BDF-A400-63CA1E064CC3.jpeg
    404.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 3035E83F-F071-40D0-87AB-755F314B34EB.jpeg
    3035E83F-F071-40D0-87AB-755F314B34EB.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 12
  • C9F5C139-1831-4D31-9970-2A3893BF8BE4.jpeg
    C9F5C139-1831-4D31-9970-2A3893BF8BE4.jpeg
    281.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 3DC19A91-03A6-4531-B4CE-16E65B23E658.jpeg
    3DC19A91-03A6-4531-B4CE-16E65B23E658.jpeg
    452.8 KB · Views: 12

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I replaced the entire plug assembly, so there is not really a way I could mess up the installation.

As you can see in the other two pics, I found cracks on the bottom of the head, but not sure if these would cause the problem.

Thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.