Ever have one of those days? Read ounces as pounds in Pool Math app!

Jun 4, 2013
Huntsville, AL
Ever have one of those days?

Uncovered the pool (by myself) last Friday, got the cover cleaned, folded and stored. Then working on lots of backwashing, scrubbing and skimming to get things pretty going into May. Decided on Monday that since the pH was 7.2, to bump it slightly to 7.6 to get into the "ideal" range according to the Pool Math app.

Somehow, I read the instructions to add 22 *OUNCES* of Soda Ash to the pool as 22 *POUNDS*. I looked in my pool supplies, had 10 pounds, and decided it was about half what I needed, and proceeded to mix and pour, one 5 gallon bucket of water at a time, until it was all mixed in.

Imagine my surprise yesterday morning when the pH test was off the charts! I went back to figure out what I had done, and realized my giant goof!

Just finished adding a gallon of 31.5% muriatic acid from Ace Hardware, and waiting a few hours to retest and see if I need to go after more...

The problem is I really don't know WHERE it took the pH, since its off the scale, aside from fooling around with the Pool Math calculator doing "what ifs", which tell me I may have taken it as high as 9.7!!!

Nothing really to see here other than a cautionary tale to be sure of the units when you are doing additions to your pool!

Reactions: JamesW
Ever have one of those days?

Uncovered the pool (by myself) last Friday, got the cover cleaned, folded and stored. Then working on lots of backwashing, scrubbing and skimming to get things pretty going into May. Decided on Monday that since the pH was 7.2, to bump it slightly to 7.6 to get into the "ideal" range according to the Pool Math app.

Somehow, I read the instructions to add 22 *OUNCES* of Soda Ash to the pool as 22 *POUNDS*. I looked in my pool supplies, had 10 pounds, and decided it was about half what I needed, and proceeded to mix and pour, one 5 gallon bucket of water at a time, until it was all mixed in.

Imagine my surprise yesterday morning when the pH test was off the charts! I went back to figure out what I had done, and realized my giant goof!

Just finished adding a gallon of 31.5% muriatic acid from Ace Hardware, and waiting a few hours to retest and see if I need to go after more...

The problem is I really don't know WHERE it took the pH, since its off the scale, aside from fooling around with the Pool Math calculator doing "what ifs", which tell me I may have taken it as high as 9.7!!!

Nothing really to see here other than a cautionary tale to be sure of the units when you are doing additions to your pool!
For next time realize there was no need to raise the pH it will go up slowly all buy itself naturally as long as the TA is at least 50 ppm.

Last edited:
Reactions: jfmorris
For next time realize have to raise the pH it will go up slowly I’ll buy itself naturally as long as the TA is at least 50 ppm.
Good point. I was mainly doing it due to all the warnings about a super negative CSI in the Pool Math calculator app, and looking to see what I could do to lower it (something like -1.75 last I remember). Waiting on some refills from TF Test Kits so I can see where calcium hardness and CYA are.

Good point. I was mainly doing it due to all the warnings about a super negative CSI in the Pool Math calculator app, and looking to see what I could do to lower it (something like -1.75 last I remember). Waiting on some refills from TF Test Kits so I can see where calcium hardness and CYA are.
Cool. I need to update my phone voice to text cause that first reply was unintelligible. Amazing you figured out what I meant!

Well, to make a long story short.... 10 pounds of soda ash and 1 gallon of 31.5% muriatic acid apparently cancel each other out, and I am back at a pH of 7.2%, haha. For now, I will use aeration if I want to increase the pH. And I need to go test TA again as I bet the acid stripped it out...

10 lbs of washing soda would have brought TA from 70 to about 110 and pH probably above 9. 1 gallon of MA then brought pH back down to about 7.5 and TA to about 90-100.

pH probably came down from 9 on its own a bit by CO2 absorption, I guess, before adding the acid.

You have a vinyl pool, don't worry about CSI being too low.