Eventually I will get the hang of this algae

Picking some up this afternoon, and will follow the directions to put it in tomorrow since I am taking a few days off from work to try and get the pool right, also waiting for the microscope thats out for delivery, but now its a question if I can find any specimens since shocking.

This is for you Harley Silo, now this is not from the pool but from the edge of our pond where there is some greenish water, I could not find any green from the pool, thank goodness, microscope pic
[attachment=0:3dkhd9ox]post pic 2.jpg[/attachment:3dkhd9ox]

Attachments

• post pic 2.jpg
    post pic 2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 88
6:00pm FC - 9, CC - 0, brought back to 16 and swept for one more overnight test to make sure. Nothing that i could see on bottom still a bit hazy/cloudy but better than yesterday. Also added DE as described in the guide, a total of 1/2 cup, 1/4 at a time, PSI rose 1 - 2 psi and stabilized over the last hour. Was 16 went to about 18.

Well, that looks like algae, but that's to be expected being on the edge of a pond that isn't chlorinated. At least you know the microscope works. You can see how those cells are translucent. You can probably use a higher power on the microscope to look at them in even more detail (though it will be fuzzier and darker).

You can see the differences between microscope photos of algae vs. pollen (except a few of those aren't really pollen photos).

Tks I was hoping you would Id it with your expertise. Now I am ready for the next time I have an outbreak, hopefully NOT. Btw is there anyway to tell the difference between reg algae and mustard through the microscope? Boy if it would you could take the guess work out of it even though I know y'all have mentioned there are 1000s of species. Also as long as it passes the overnight test again I will let it back down to normal levels tomorrow and then retest my Cya to then bring it to 50 and adjust the range accordingly, this would be the proper steps I assume.

Wanted to add the DE is pretty amazing the filter has moved one PSI higher and the water is clearing already.

7:00am FC - 13, CC - 0, water now crystal clear and can tell anyone who may be reluctant to try DE in a sand filter, JUST DO IT!!!, Cleared overnight, my PSI has now leveled off at 20, my norm is 15, so still has some to go. A little brown dirt or dust on the floor I vacuum later. Tested CYA again, 35, I am adding right now to bring to 50

Sure, now lets hope I can keep it that way, been cutting grass all morning so stirred up some dust now its starting to rain right after I get it right. The clouds were overhead when I snapped the pic but the sun has been shining all morning and hot/humid. All the CYA melted out of the sock so I will have the FC meet the target for 50 CYA later when I check. Do you think I should go a little higher that the target number on the chart or wait and see how much chlorine it eats tomorrow? Btw the pressure went up one since this morning so its 21 from regular 15. I think I will add like a 1/4 cup DE instead of the 1/2 cup I put yesterday everytime I backwash to give it a head start on filtering. Thank you and Chemgeek for yall's help, again.
[attachment=0:3v19t9ei]photo1.JPG[/attachment:3v19t9ei]
[attachment=1:3v19t9ei]photo2.JPG[/attachment:3v19t9ei]

Attachments

• photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 64
  • photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 64

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You're welcome. All of us like to help :)

Your pool looks great! :cheers: and that is a huge yard!

Do you think I should go a little higher that the target number on the chart or wait and see how much chlorine it eats tomorrow?
Well, range for 50 CYA is 4 and the target is 6, and never below 4. That does not leave much wiggle room if the avg daily loss is 2 to 4ish. I suggest you try 7 tonight and see see how that works out for you.

Happy Swims :swim: :snorkle:

That's what I was thinking, a little above just to make sure, I don't mind keeping it even higher if I need to like even 8 or 9 to be safe, but correct me if I am wrong that would be bad on the longevity of the liner and other stuff?

Oh yeah the yard, that is the back of it and in the distance is an oxidation pond for our trailer park, now that thing is green, the fish pond is out of view. The whole yard is 8 acres that I have to cut once a week, it takes 3 hours on a zero turn. A few pics added, forgive off topic.
[attachment=2:2u8xyyho]485840_3049109324048_1101937164_n.jpg[/attachment:2u8xyyho]
[attachment=1:2u8xyyho]29687_1120081139549_7937008_n.jpg[/attachment:2u8xyyho]
[attachment=0:2u8xyyho]29687_1120081099548_2966770_n.jpg[/attachment:2u8xyyho]

Attachments

• 485840_3049109324048_1101937164_n.jpg
    485840_3049109324048_1101937164_n.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 29687_1120081139549_7937008_n.jpg
    29687_1120081139549_7937008_n.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 56
  • 29687_1120081099548_2966770_n.jpg
    29687_1120081099548_2966770_n.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 56
If I had a yard like that, I'd of bought the biggest round above ground pool I could! :mrgreen: Hubby would be screaming at me... :rant: Why'd you buy this gigantic pool?!!! :rant: I'd say... to fill up the yard hunny! :mrgreen: That pool looks great! I have the same one in my garage just waiting to go in! The dig starts on Wednesday! :party:

I never thought of it that way, it would alleviate a lot of grass cutting!!!

Thanks and love it, great quality, didn't have any problems with the install, just took me and my wife, working alone, a week for the pool and the deck last. Pretty tired after but worth it.

Don't know if you saw my build play by play but it's here if u want to see how it went up:

my-first-agp-build-t40730.html

Lasted one weekend. Lasted for three days and came back and bit me. Water was clear clear clear. Lowered my levels to between 4 and 8 FC, CC always 0. Cya 40. Kept noticing the pool getting a little hazy a couple days after. Steadily got worse noticing bright green small patches with yellowish dirt patches. Vacuum to waste they came back next day. Thought because of no rain lately and dusty conditions could be dirt and tree pollen. Backwashed every other day after adding a little DE to filter and it would come out bright green for awhile when back washing. Double check my pool readings at local pool store, all were in range. Even had him check for copper due to a greenish tint again showing up and because I had used Backup biogard which has copper. No metals in water. So after reading the pool school yellow mustard post that's all I can figure out like it says in pool school, you clear up the pool and think everything is fine then it comes back and slaps you. Back at shock level and I figure the only thing I can try now is following mustard algae pool school directions and see if that works. Also I never let it slip one day and kept the chlorine above minimum.

Must be, swept three times since going to shock at 18 at 4:00 pm, dropped to 16 at 10:00 pm, brought it back to 18, a little over target with 40 Cya but I have just about had enough. The water looks greener than before and just saw some hints of green on the floor along the edges. Although its hazy/cloudy you can pretty much see to the floor. So swept again. I can also see good flow around the pool at all levels with small debris circulating through the water, flashlight pics it up real good.

Wife brought sample water to reputable Pool store, confirmed Mustard Algae in the water, gave my wife ProGuard Copper Algecide, to use, to help kill it with instructions. Pool store also said there is a mass of people in our area with similar problems, there were three standing in line in front of the wife and they all tested positive for mustard. Just informing the masses, I never heard of the stuff, has anyone else? She also said there was no copper or metals in the Bioguard Backup that she sells, I thought there was.

copotay said:
I never thought of it that way, it would alleviate a lot of grass cutting!!!

Thanks and love it, great quality, didn't have any problems with the install, just took me and my wife, working alone, a week for the pool and the deck last. Pretty tired after but worth it.

Don't know if you saw my build play by play but it's here if u want to see how it went up:

my-first-agp-build-t40730.html

The pool is very nice looking! Can't wait to get mine up! I'm in the process of getting the pad level. I had to rent an excavator to take care of the hill side. I've decided to work on it at night because it gets sun 100% all day. So, that's what I'll be doing tonight if it doesn't rain. :goodjob:

Hope you can get rid of the mustard algae. :whip:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.