Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Hello,

Earlier this year I installed a SWCG, which has been a total blessing. With it, obviously, I raised the salt level in my pool. During the summer, it seemed the pool water was evaporating quicker than years past, and i read on here that the higher salt % causes a higher evaporation level.

Since Thanksgiving, I put on my leaf cover on. The pool water is about 55 degrees. Even now, with the colder air and water, and cover on, the water is still dropping roughly an inch every two weeks or so. Is this normal, or do i need to start looking for a leak somewhere?

Not sure if this is the right forum. I put on here because my assumption at this point is my evap rate is higher because of the salt level because of the SWCG.

thanks,
Paul

Your SWCG and salinity of the water has nothing to do with evaporation.

With a mesh cover you will still have evaporation. If you are not getting rain, you will need to add water.

Your SWCG and salinity of the water has nothing to do with evaporation.

With a mesh cover you will still have evaporation. If you are not getting rain, you will need to add water.
Thanks for the clarification Marty. And for putting me in the right forum!
Does that water loss seem normal? It could be we have had little rain this year, and in years past we had rain.

That would be about half what I see. But I live in a desert.

Do a bucket test if unsure.

Thanks guys for the clarification about the salt and evap. Not sure where i read that. maybe i made it up in my head. And thanks for the evap article, very helpful.

I'll do the bucket test and see what happens. Thanks again, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Salinity, and TDS in general, does DECREASE evaporation rates by way of modifying the saturation vapor pressure, BUT it is not a significant effect at TDS levels found in pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.