ETi 400 vs MasterTemp

dsmzealot

Feb 3, 2020
Denver, CO
I'm in the planning stages of my pool build and wanted to see if anyone had any input on the newer ETi 400 (high efficiency) Pentair heater vs the MasterTemp Pentair heater. My prospective PB said the ETi handles SWG much better than the older MasterTemp version and will last much longer. Both would be 400k BTU and I intend to have SWG. Any advice/input is appreciated.

Reactions: ewsb
Discussion about the ETI400 here...

We have not heard anyone with experience with it. What is the cost difference from your builder between the MasterTemp and ETI 400?

He's passing along the upgrade at his cost cause he said it causes them so much less trouble. The difference is $3900 which seemed a bit steep to me. He said it's not about saving gas cost cause you'd never realize the ROI. It's more about equipment reliability.

That is expensive. That is double the price of a MasterTemp 400. Will it last twice as long? You can replace a MasterTemp when It fails for abut that cost. I am not sure I would spend my money now to save some maintenance calls later. The pool heater is not a vital piece of equipment to me.

The key to heater longevity is to get the installation and operation correct.

Maintain good chemistry.

Make sure that the water flow is correct. Not too high and not too low.

Get the gas supply right.

Make sure that you're getting a variable speed pump so that you can control the flow.

You should also be getting automation to make it all work together.

For anyone stumbling on this thread, I'm on year 15 of my Master Temp with a salt water pool in Houston, TX and still going strong. During that time I've had to replace the manifold o-ring, the thermal regulator, and the high limit switch (~$105 in parts). To me the titanium system is in no way worth the price delta. However, my usage is fairly light: heat the spa 1-2x/week and the pool one or two weeks a year. The heater has been literally the most reliable piece of kit on my pool in terms of dollars spent.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.