White Bear Lake, MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
Over 25 years ago, when I bought this house and pool, I estimated the gallons by measuring, using the pool pole as a depth gauge (and measuring it, also). The math came out to about 25,000 gal, which I've used as a basis ever since. But chem additions always seemed a bit "off" from prediction. Not by far, but I'm now in the habit of sneaking up on the final goal.

So today, I was prepping to convert to a SWCG. Pool was at 600 ppm for salt. 10 40 lb bags went in. After I give it a few days to mix, and do another salt reading, would back figuring the math give me a better gallonage? Not being obsessive, but it would be nice to see how far off, or not, my earlier amount might be.

After I give it a few days to mix, and do another salt reading, would back figuring the math give me a better gallonage?
Yes. You can also do this on most pH or FC adjustments. Add and test after 30 minutes for FC/pH. If you overshot, reduce pool volume by 500 gallons. If you undershot, raise pool volume by 500. Rinse and repeat until your actual and expected results match.

If you are using the K-1766 salt test kit, it has a +/- 200ppm (each drop is 200ppm) For 25k pool a 40 lb bag will raise salt by 191ppm so that falls within an margin of error.
Another way which may be quicker is to measure FC using the FAS-DPD as each drop is 0.5 ppm (for 10ml sample) or even use 0.2ppm (for the 25ml sample). Liquid chlorine will mix quickly 30-45 mins. So test for FC, pour in a volume of liquid chlorine and let it mix, then 45 mins later test again. Your SWCG needs to be OFF. It is not exact science but neither is measuring with a yard stick

Ooo! Numbers to play with. Figured since I was going from 600 to ~2,500 with the salt, that big a change would help hide a margin of error with the drop test. Didn't think about using Chorine, will try that too. My SWCG is on a UPS truck somewhere, so likely won't effect the readings much (grin)!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.