Estimating GPM from pump speed

Knowledge of the flow rate of the pump would not indicate the amount of water leaking out of the pool unless all of it was leaking such as with a broken pipe. But in that case, the flow rate estimated would be much lower than actual because the break point would eliminate a lot of head loss, depending on where it occurred.

Also, that sensor will only detect a leak in one location and only when it can accumulate enough to trip the sensor. A leak can occur anywhere including underground where the sensor would be useless. Even on the pad, the water would normally run away and not accumulate.

Why the concern about a leak? When they do occur, then tend to be quite slow.

I'm only concerned about the heater couplings honestly. For some reason this year when running the heater for a long time, one of the couplings begins to loosen when it cools back down (regardless of how right I have it).

A kill relay was just insurance. Im hoping it I just have it go down to 1,100rpms that whatever water leaked through the coupling would be immaterial if I was away for a while. The pool equipment is located inside a shed so I wouldn't want to lose water and make a mess of things.

I wish there was a 240v smartplug. It would save me a bunch of trouble

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.