jjmosc

May 12, 2022
Philadelphia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all, I have a 22 year old gunite pool with a failed expansion joint. The pool and or deck has settled thru the years so some places the expansion gap is larger than other spots. I have had some delineation and have some hollow red brick safety coping with some hollow tiles as well. I know the time is coming for an overhaul but the 23K quote is not in the budget with 2 kids in college. Right now I have all of the old expansion joint material removed and have deck o foam 1/2" x 3" to replace it with. Question is, some places I can see several inches of erosion on the deck side and under where the new joint will sit. Should I fill this in to a point where the expansion material will be just below the deck and if so with what? Topsoil, maybe expanding foam. Any ideas or input is much appreciated. Thanks gang!

Can you post some pics of those erosion areas you need to fill?

I think the answer is to stuff foam backer rod into the spaces.

I think deck-o-foam is used for new construction but I would stuff foam backing rod into the joint and spaces and then top it with Deck-O-Seal.

DECK-O-SEAL - Polysulfide-Based Joint Sealant

Joint Sizes … Proper joint design practices and application techniques must be followed for successful performance. DECK-O-FOAM®, KOOL-ROD™, or KOOL-ROD SOFT from W. R. MEADOWS may be used as a joint backing material to control sealant depth and provide proper joint configuration. For larger joints, use a non-asphalt joint filler, such as CORK EXPANSION JOINT from W. R. MEADOWS, in the joint before sealing.

A 2:1 width-to-depth ratio should be maintained. However, in no case should joint sealant depth be less than 1/4″ (6.4 mm) or exceed 1/2″ (12.7 mm). DECK-O-SEAL should NOT be used in joints less than 1/4″ (6.4 mm) wide.

Thanks ajw22, I will take some pics and post this evening. I was planning on using backer rod and thick closed cell foam strips for the wider sections. My plan was to place the deck o foam on the deck side so maybe it could be saved when I start repairing the hollow coping. I don't believe any joints are less than 1/4" but if I find any I was going to grind the edge of the deck as needed. Thanks again!

Hello again, I have the old expansion joint out and it was nonexistent in some places. My question is in a few places the beam and deck are touching. I don't believe this should be but not quite sure how to remedy it? Banging on the beam with a hammer and chisel seems a bit aggressive. I am trying to grind the deck to create the space for the new expansion joint but this is painfully slow. Any suggestions appreciated.

Grinding back the deck to maintain the expansion joint is the right fix.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.