northernpoolguy

Apr 8, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Hi There,

Hello from Toronto, Canada. I am looking to replace my pool equipment starting with my Sand Filter and my Hayward Super Pump (SP2607X10A). I have a very small kidney sized in ground pool 4000 USG (8 feet by 16 feet) that has 2 jets in the stairs (spa area) and 2 main jets. My pump is a 1 HP pump and is on its last legs, starting to rust and my sand filter is letting sand into the system. I wanted to replace it with a 3/4 HP pump and wanted to get a suggestion for what size Hayward sand filter I should get. The filter that is there is 21" and the piping is 1.5". Not sure what other information you would need.

I also want to change to Salt generator but I will leave that to another day....

With a small pool volume, I would think a cartridge filter would be a better choice. When you backwash a sand filter, you remove a significant percentage of your pool volume and thus disrupt your pool water chemistry, unless you need to because you use trichlor.

Thanks @mknauss

I have been talking to a sales rep and he is suggesting a Hayward Super Pump Variable Speed Pump 115V, Inground - SP26115VSP with a Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter, 200 Sq Ft - C200S and Hayward Aqua-Rite 900 with 25,000 gallon Extended Life Turbo Cell - AQR925-CUL

He said the variable pump would save me a ton on electricity and pay for itself over 1.5 seasons. The cartridge
filter he recommended like @mknauss said the small volume of water. And the Auqa-Rite for switching to a salt pool.

Does this sound reasonable?

That all should work. I assume you have a timer currently that you can use with the SWCG so it is powered off when the pump is scheduled to be off. Do not let them tell you the flow switch for the SWCG is all you need. We have cases where SWCG have exploded when relying solely on the flow switch.

The pump will have its own timer and will powered all the time. The installers need to wire the pump and SWCG correctly. Be sure the pump has power all the time and the SWCG only has power when the pump is scheduled to run.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.