Equipment choices for 1500 gallon in ground spa

khaven

Jul 28, 2023
Livermore, CA
Hi All, Newbie here... I'm upgrading my 25+ year old mostly-Hayward system and wanted to get feedback on my plans.
1) I bought an Easy Touch upgrade for my Compool Lx/Cp3810 system to allow me to use the existing load center, and added ScreenLogic for wifi/remote control over the system. We heat the spa only as needed and want to be able to turn on the heater remotely. I was a bit surprised to see that there needs to be a hard (4 wire) connection between my router and the equipment pad. I can do this, but none of my other home automation requires any kind of hard connection - ?
2) For the filter pump I want to go variable speed, and seems like Pentair is the best choice for integrating with EasyTouch. The 1.5hp IntelliFlo3 VSF #011066 seems like a good fit to replace my old Hayward 1.0hp Super Pump. My spa has 2" plumbing, and I'm re-using my Hayward SwimClear C3030 (325 sq ft filter area and 122 gal/min rating). Daily filtering shouldn't take long even at a lower speed. Is the pump available without the I/O board since it seems like I'd be using external control with the EasyTouch, and/or is it a good idea to have local control of the pump in any case?
3) The previous Hayward heater was 400k Btu/hr and I want to keep a similar rating since quick heating is important for a heat-per-use application (I have a 1-1/4" gas line to the heater to support this). I'm leaning toward buying the Pentair MasterTemp heater of the same rating since the footprint is pretty small. Or maybe a Raypak Avia.
4) I'll probably keep the existing Hayward Super Pump (2 hp) for the jets which have 2-1/2" plumbing, and the Hayward Super Pump (1-1/2 hp) for the water fall feature since we don't use either of these often.
Sorry for all the questions, and TIA for any advice!
Thanks, Ken

Hi All, Newbie here... I'm upgrading my 25+ year old mostly-Hayward system and wanted to get feedback on my plans.
1) I bought an Easy Touch upgrade for my Compool Lx/Cp3810 system to allow me to use the existing load center, and added ScreenLogic for wifi/remote control over the system. We heat the spa only as needed and want to be able to turn on the heater remotely. I was a bit surprised to see that there needs to be a hard (4 wire) connection between my router and the equipment pad. I can do this, but none of my other home automation requires any kind of hard connection - ?

Sounds like you only got the Protocol Adapter (PA).

You need the High Speed Wireless Link Kit for wireless connection of the PA. Or some folks have used a wireless bridge instead of the expensive Pentair 900MHz kit.

2) For the filter pump I want to go variable speed, and seems like Pentair is the best choice for integrating with EasyTouch. The 1.5hp IntelliFlo3 VSF #011066 seems like a good fit to replace my old Hayward 1.0hp Super Pump. My spa has 2" plumbing, and I'm re-using my Hayward SwimClear C3030 (325 sq ft filter area and 122 gal/min rating). Daily filtering shouldn't take long even at a lower speed. Is the pump available without the I/O board since it seems like I'd be using external control with the EasyTouch, and/or is it a good idea to have local control of the pump in any case?

The 011065 pump is the IntelliFlo3 1.5HP without the relay board.

You don’t need the relay board with the EasyTouch.

I suggest you get the 011077 pump which is 3HP with local touch screen controls. The 3HP pump will be more efficient and you will not need your phone for local control of the pump when in SERVICE MODE.

3) The previous Hayward heater was 400k Btu/hr and I want to keep a similar rating since quick heating is important for a heat-per-use application (I have a 1-1/4" gas line to the heater to support this). I'm leaning toward buying the Pentair MasterTemp heater of the same rating since the footprint is pretty small. Or maybe a Raypak Avia.

Get the MasterTemp with the EasyTouch.

Sounds like you only got the Protocol Adapter (PA).

You need the High Speed Wireless Link Kit for wireless connection of the PA. Or some folks have used a wireless bridge instead of the expensive Pentair 900MHz kit.

The 011065 pump is the IntelliFlo3 1.5HP without the relay board.

You don’t need the relay board with the EasyTouch.

I suggest you get the 011077 pump which is 3HP with local touch screen controls. The 3HP pump will be more efficient and you will not need your phone for local control of the pump when in SERVICE MODE.

Get the MasterTemp with the EasyTouch.
Thanks so much for the advice! I investigated my ScreenLogic upgrade package further and it does contain the Link Kit with a different set of instructions that eliminates the hard line out to the equipment pad. Confusing, but good news.
The 1.5hp IntelliFlo3 has a WEF rating of 9.4 versus 7.1 for the 3hp, was hoping that would translate into real world efficiency? The 1.5hp has more than enough flow capability for my system so I'll probably be running at low flow/speed even with the smaller pump. At least that was my thinking.

The 1.5hp IntelliFlo3 has a WEF rating of 9.4 versus 7.1 for the 3hp, was hoping that would translate into real world efficiency? The 1.5hp has more than enough flow capability for my system so I'll probably be running at low flow/speed even with the smaller pump. At least that was my thinking.

I would not look to take the WEF rating to the bank. It is not measuring efficiency at low speeds at a given flow.

Let's say your pool needs 40gpm of flow. The 1.5HP pump will need something like 2000 rpms for that flow and be at a higher watts used then the 3HP that can give you 40GPM running at 1600 rpms. For a given flow the higher HP pump will use less energy and be more efficient.

I would not look to take the WEF rating to the bank. It is not measuring efficiency at low speeds at a given flow.

Let's say your pool needs 40gpm of flow. The 1.5HP pump will need something like 2000 rpms for that flow and be at a higher watts used then the 3HP that can give you 40GPM running at 1600 rpms. For a given flow the higher HP pump will use less energy and be more efficient.
Makes sense - thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.