Equipment advice wanted!!!

Jun 18, 2016
Oklahoma
We are vetting contracts and PBer's. Fiberglass pool, most likely the Thursday Pools Aspen 40. I am meeting for the second time with one installer tomorrow, who I really like. But, their quote is for Jandy equipment. Specifically:

Jandy VS FloPro 1.85HP pump
Jandy CV340 Filter
Jandy TruClear SWCG
Jandy IQPump01 Congroller

They are willing to go to Pentair or Hayward equipment, but the models and websites for both are kinda confusing. What equipment should I be asking for? From Pentair it looks like one of the WhisperFlo models, along with the IC40 and the Clear and Clean Plus 320? Planning on 2 lights, and undecided on a heater. No spa, we are getting a dedicated hottub, so I was planning on skipping automation. Anyone have suggests or thoughts??? Huge thanks in advance!!!

Intelliflo3 pump with I/O add on; IC40 SWCG; CCP 420 (largest you can afford).
Lights, best to get basic Pentair Amerilite. The Nicheless lights are not reliable and costly.
Leave space for heater.

Will you be adding water line tile to the pool?

Reactions: monkeypunch
MP,

In my tiny mind I rank equipment brands as follows...

Pentair
Jandy
Hayward (Except their T15 style SWCG, which is number 1)

I am a great fan of large (3 HP) VS pumps that can run very slowly and still move a lot of water for cents a day. Instead of smaller 1.5 HP VS pumps.

I am a fan of buying the largest cartridge filter they have.. The large the filter the less you have to clean it and the lower the back pressure.

Any SWCG, MUST be at least 2 x the volume of the pool or more.. Especially in places like OK..

Pools without a built in spa do not normally need an automation system. But they do need a way to keep the SWCG from getting any power when the pump is not running..

In your case I would go with the following..

IntelliFlo3 VS pump.. Can be controled by an App and can include a relay card that can control the SWCG's AC power.
CCP-520 cartridge filter
IntelliChlor IC40 or better yet IC60 SWCG and Power Center, or Hayward T15 SWCG and control panel.

Here is a link to a great site to review equipment..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Intelliflo3 pump with I/O add on; IC40 SWCG; CCP 420 (largest you can afford).
Lights, best to get basic Pentair Amerilite. The Nicheless lights are not reliable and costly.
Leave space for heater.

Will you be adding water line tile to the pool?
No water line tile. I had to replace a bunch on our last pool, which was gunnite. I will talk to them about the lights today as well.

Any suggestions on which heater to get quoted?

If Pentair a Mastertemp. The bigger the faster it will heat the water. Unless you are looking at a Heat Pump. That is all electric. Cost of a gas heater can get very high depending on how long a gas line you need to run. Propane is not viable under nearly all circumstances.

Monkey punch, have you talked to your pb regarding the number of skimmers and returns they recommend installing? Asking because we are inline for an aspen 35 and was curious as to what was recommended

Monkey punch, have you talked to your pb regarding the number of skimmers and returns they recommend installing? Asking because we are inline for an aspen 35 and was curious as to what was recommended

I always recommend 2 skimmers and 2 to 3 returns.

If you have 1 skimmer and you have a problem with it your pool is shutdown. With 2 skimmers you can run your pool on 1 until you get the other working.

Reactions: Lampasas1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Gas heater or electric Heat Pump?

NG or propane?
Natural gas, if we do it. They are going yo get me the exact model today. Said it would be roughly $4600 installed, with up to 100ft of gas line.
They said they usually do 1 if the yard doesn't have any trees, but would look closer at it when they come out on Tuesday to look at the yard and do a design. They said 4 returns is what they normally do for returns.

Natural gas, if we do it. They are going yo get me the exact model today. Said it would be roughly $4600 installed, with up to 100ft of gas line.

Get a Pentair MasterTemp 400 NG heater.

They said they usually do 1 if the yard doesn't have any trees, but would look closer at it when they come out on Tuesday to look at the yard and do a design. They said 4 returns is what they normally do for returns.

I would rather have 2 skimmers and less returns.

MP,

Are you getting the Clean and Clear Plus Filter (CCP-320)? Is the CNC just a typo???

Thanks,

Jim R.
Yeah it's the Clear and Clean Plus. I think the "FLT CNC Plus 320" he sent in the text is a dealer thing. When I googled it, the CCP-320 is what comes up. The builder said they would install whatever equipment I want. They have been super easy to work with.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.