Enclosure company said to buy No See Ums 20x20 screen only on the lateral sides of the enclosure because they fly low. Is it true?

venexiano

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Enclosure company said to buy No See Ums 20x20 screen only on the lateral sides of the enclosure , and leave the top side with the standard screen (I think I have 18x14 or something similar). I am flooded with No See Ums so I need a solution (either chemicals or No See Ums 20x20 screen or combination of the two). Is it true that No See Ums fly low and won't enter from the top? Does anyone have this solution successfully implemented in a area with many No See Ums?

Hmmm. I have never heard that. I think I would err on the side of caution, unless cost is a constraint.

Enclosure company said to buy No See Ums 20x20 screen only on the lateral sides of the enclosure , and leave the top side with the standard screen (I think I have 18x14 or something similar). I am flooded with No See Ums so I need a solution (either chemicals or No See Ums 20x20 screen or combination of the two). Is it true that No See Ums fly low and won't enter from the top? Does anyone have this solution successfully implemented in a area with many No See Ums?
Yeah, while this may be plausible, I don't understand what saving a few bucks on a more open screen would get you other than the possibility of still having the no-see-ums around your pool. I wouldn't take the chance and would use the proper screen everywhere.

--Jeff

You guys are missing a point, and it is my bad, I should have written it in the original post. The enclosure reduce sun light transmission to the pool water. No See um screens are even worst, and in late fall or early spring having 2-4 extra degrees is important. Plus the sky is more bright and nice with a wider screen grid. It is not about the money.

You guys are missing a point, and it is my bad, I should have written it in the original post. The enclosure reduce sun light transmission to the pool water. No See um screens are even worst, and in late fall or early spring having 2-4 extra degrees is important. Plus the sky is more bright and nice with a wider screen grid. It is not about the money.

Well, in the end, it is your choice, right? I didn’t actually miss a point at all - if I was trying to prevent bugs, I’d do the thing that prevents bugs. I’d install a heater to warm the water, especially since money isn’t the issue.

But if you are comfortable with what they are telling you, go for it!

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
Well if no-see-ums dont fly above a certain elevation, why spending extra 2000 for a no-see-um net, plus the extra money for heating the pool? Money might not be an issue, but I rather give them to charity than wasting them for something pointless. I am looking for an expert opinion on this option, or on some homeowner who went this route and has no no-see-ums now inside the enclosure.

No see ems encompasses 5000 species. Can you be a bit more specific ? :ROFLMAO:

On a serious note, Google says that most gnats / sand flies / no see ums fly low to avoid more wind gusts. They don't do well in the wind due to their size. So it appears to line up with what you're being told.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.