Empty pool

Ree

May 28, 2013
I have had my 15x25 ft oval above ground pool for 17 years. When I went to open it this year there was about 2 ft of water left in the pool. There were no visible signs of where the water possibly went. I have a small rust hole near the skimmer but high on the wall above and not where the water could have possibly leaked out. I did pump rain water off the cover and have thought maybe if the cover had a hole I may have possibly pumped the water out myself. But nah... I now have been getting the run around by the guy trying to get someone here to fix/diagnose/let me know if it can be fixed. Tell me what size liner/ what kind etc etc.

Question... where do you think the water went? There is now a foot of water left in the pool. He says he wants to fix the hole and hopefully not put any other holes in the liner??? I say take off the liner and fix wall and replace liner! I'm only looking to fix it for a few more years. He keeps saying he thinks its structure isn't good. Its solid! I dunno??? I don't think he is actually listening to what I'm saying? Any way it's a popular time of the year I'm hoping I can even find a liner. Dang!
ree

I can't find the leak... the pool liner looks great???I don't want to refill the pool and not be able to find the leak>

I feel confident you'll find it. With a 17 year old pool can you even get the liner? Sounds to me like you're in for a pool replacement if it comes to that.

Reactions: Decoy205
I have had my 15x25 ft oval above ground pool for 17 years. When I went to open it this year there was about 2 ft of water left in the pool. There were no visible signs of where the water possibly went. I have a small rust hole near the skimmer but high on the wall above and not where the water could have possibly leaked out. I did pump rain water off the cover and have thought maybe if the cover had a hole I may have possibly pumped the water out myself. But nah... I now have been getting the run around by the guy trying to get someone here to fix/diagnose/let me know if it can be fixed. Tell me what size liner/ what kind etc etc.

Question... where do you think the water went? There is now a foot of water left in the pool. He says he wants to fix the hole and hopefully not put any other holes in the liner??? I say take off the liner and fix wall and replace liner! I'm only looking to fix it for a few more years. He keeps saying he thinks its structure isn't good. Its solid! I dunno??? I don't think he is actually listening to what I'm saying? Any way it's a popular time of the year I'm hoping I can even find a liner. Dang!
ree
I had that problem with my old 18x33 pool liner when it was about 19 years old and it turned out that the floor of the liner had gotten porous.

Your actual pool liner is 17 years old? I think you are likely dealing with what Johnny above had with his liner - the floor itself.

If the 2’ of water is not leaking anymore I don’t think it’s the floor. If the water level is at 2’ check the perimeter of where the water is.

17 years is good for a above ground pool let alone a liner. If you have some rust visible on the outside chances are you have a lot more on the inside wall. You probably should prepare for at least a new liner but if you can inspect the inner wall before ordering you can see if the wall is toast.

Reactions: Mdragger88
If the leak stops at some point, the water's edge will be where the hole is. If it continues to the floor then that's where the leak will be. People have reported pin holes from ants or termites in their pool floor and it could be that as well.

If it is the floor and you can get in the pool you may be able to see/feel channels if you're on a sand base.

17 years for a liner is a good run, a problem before buying a liner could be the pool walls or bottom track. My last pool at 20 years old had the liner fail and when I cut the liner off the bottom track was gone so we took the pool down.

Reactions: Decoy205
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.