Emptied and refilled pool. How best to get water balanced?

Your pH moved so easily because there is (was) little to buffer it. The buffering effect comes from your TA. As I mentioned early in the thread it's unusually low for your pH. Now with your additions, that will have changed some. What target TA were you shooting for with the 324 oz of Baking soda? That addition might have put you closer to 100. And with the washing Soda, were you targeting a new pH?

Let's see what you are after these additions and mixing, then take it from there. Don't add anything else yet ok?

Not to tell you what to do or anything.....But, if it were me...I think I would change one thing at a time. Like Jason said. Do your TA first. Make sure its where you want it. Then test PH. Get it where you want it. Then focus on the other things. FC, CH, etc. Dont do a CYA test for about a week. You will just use your reagents for nothing. Assume you are at least at 25-30. If pool math said to add 5lb to get to 30, then just assume its in there.

Take it slow.

Re: How to distribute CYA

You are doing the correct thing adding solid CYA via the sock... but NOT in the skimmer. You could suck a nugget into your pump and you are pulling concentrated chems into your pump and filter. (not critical for CYA, but not a good habit)

It would be best to hang the sock in front of the return water. Some people place the sock over the edge of the pool and hold it with a weight. Others tie the sock to a pole/stick and put it a couple feet out in front of the return. This is the safest method.

Re: How to distribute CYA

I forgot to mention, please keep all of your threads about a single subject (your new pool water) in one single thread, if at all possible. This way everyone reads all of the things you are doing to resolve your issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.