Elks Pool

I don't think the Pentair IC60 would be adequate for that pool. I have two of them for a similar-sized pool with a much smaller bather load, running at 12 hours a day at 60%. I would go for the more expensive one in this case.

I don't either. I will be recommending the Lodge get a 67,000 gallon unit recommended to me by Inyo. Idiot pool service we use gave an overpriced estimate for the IC40! This 67k unit (don't recall the brand or model atm) is same price at around $1,500, but I honestly don't see that happening.

I'll repeat myself....tri-chlor stinks, both literally and figuratively.

SUCCESS! Crystal clear, can see every detail of the grate on the drain 8.5 feet down. FC still 10+, CH 220, pH 7.5, didn't test anything else. Some minor bits of crud on bottom of deep end where it didn't get manually vacuumed Friday night. Am beginning to think it's not sand but dead algae???

Sorry, Flippr, no OCLT as I had to bring the FAS-DPD test home since my home pool turned aqua from lack of attention.

This afternoon, FC at Elk's pool still 10+ (DPD only) and pH was off the chart high. (that's odd.)

Still crystal clear. No crud on floor of shallow end, so obviously it's not sand on the bottom. Does dead algae clump and fall to floor?

Vince- I salute you for your dedication to this project. As a former enthusiastic user of an Elks Club pool during my childhood, know you are making some kids summer more enjoyable.

The crud on the floor could indeed be dead algae. I had the same brown deposits on the floor and it took me a season to figure out it wasn't dirt. My cure was 1) pull the light out and clean the niche it fit into. It was an algae nest due to little to no water circulation behind it. It now gets pulled every couple of months and scrubbed.

2) Add about a pound of diatomaceous earth to the sand filter. It will trap a lot of that "dust" that settles on the floor. I mix the DE in a bucket of pool water and pour it in the skimmer while the pump is running....takes about 3 minutes to do the whole thing. I'm on my 4th pool season and just bought my 2nd box of DE yesterday. $20 for 25 lbs at the local Ace hardware. You will have to do this routine after every filter backwash, as the DE goes out with the backwash.

Keep up the good work !

For when I travel, I bought a simple cheapo test kit for FC and pH for my family helpers to use. I put a dot on the scale. "Above that, so this. Below this do that". I keep some liquid chlorine on hand if they need a boost, and of course some acid. God only knows what goes on when we're gone! :eek:

I don't let them use my Taylor kit. Getting something simple would be good for a "back up" person to check things while you are gone a few days.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, grr.

I left the pool Thursday with almost perfect test numbers, crystal clear water and 4 tri-chlor pucks in the chlorinator. (I say almost b/c CYA was 100.) Come Sunday, after I returned from offshore fishing, I saw a text message saying the water is turning green. Monday morning, FC 10 (not 10+), pH 7.8, CYA 100, TA 90, CH 220 and hazy, aqua/not quite green water. I drained about a fifth or a sixth of the total volume of water. Refill still underway at 6 PM yesterday. Hopefully the 5 gallons of 10.5% LC I had on hand will have done some good overnight. Keeping fingers crossed for a much lower CYA reading . . . . .

I'll go on record again saying the Tri-chlor/cal-hypo routine is a pain in the neck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.