Electrical question

Dante2

Apr 16, 2020
Montreal
I have an in-ground pool that was already installed when I purchased the house 17 years ago. I don't have a sub-panel in my pool shed but have a 110v receptacle for the SWG and 220v for the pool pump. What I noticed is the the SWG and the pump have a screw to attach a ground wire. My question is, do I need to install a ground wire to the pump, heater and SWG or is ground of the receptacle sufficient? Reason I ask is because I think the pool is not grounded because it was built without a permit. How do I know? The pool was install below a power line and it encroaches on the hydro and telephone company's servitude. 2 no no's.
Thanks

There are two things to consider:
1 - The electrical items themselves are "grounded" via the power source
2 - The pool/equipment are "bonded"

So your pump, SWG, etc should have a ground wire from the power source. But somewhere on the pad, typically near the pump, you should see a rather thick No 8 gauge copper bond wire. Equipment and the various areas of the pool also get boded to that wire. The type of pool, materials, and accessories around the pool come into play.

See the link below for more info. Post some pics of everything as well so we can see.

Reactions: Dante2
A couple other articles to help.

Reactions: Dante2