Electrical Current in my pool - Troubleshooting Story

jerlarsen

May 28, 2023
Oregon
Hi all, I am fairly new to this forum and and a new pool owner. I came to this site because of the great information here.
Pool Info: New pool, Fiberglass shell, fully permitted, inspected and final'd. The electrical was done by a professional and the it is fully bonded. Equipment is all latest Jandy: Variable pump, Propane heater, TruClear salt generator and Aqualink RS automation
Disclaimer: I am not an electrician but have wired 3 of my own homes that I have built so I have quite a bit of knowledge, experience with the right and wrong way to install.

About 3 weeks ago I was in my pool and noticed when I touched the coping it cause a "tingle". There is current in the pool. I immediately turned all equipment off and got out of the pool. I grabbed my volt meter and be ground one side to the coping and inserted the other in the skimmer. With all equipment off there were 0.00 volts appearing. I began to turn on the equipment one breaker at a time. When I turned on the breaker that was powering the Jandy TruClear volts appeared. It fluctuated between 3 - 6.17 volts. Turn the breaker off - back to 0.00. So Isolated to that component. I started trying to narrow down the reasons why this might be causing the problem.
1. Is it part of the bond grid? -- Yes, lug is on the box and #8 wire runs through
2. Is it corroded? - no, but cleaned anyway
3. Is it wired incorrectly at the breaker? - No, wired correctly
4. What changed, if anything since the professional install? ....Well I did install an ethernet cable from the Jandy TruClear to the Aqualink RS so that I could control through the mobile app the salt generation. The pool installers only put it on an Aqualink RS aux switch. After reading the manual more closely, I learned you could automate the chlorination % as well as put it in Boost mode from my phone app. So following directions, I connected an ethernet cable from the TruClear to the Aqulnk RS485 connector on the Aqualink board. It all worked. (The manual did say to use a RS485 cable to connect - I read another forum that used ethernet that worked, I had that on hand so I tried it) Anyway, with this being on variable that had changed un disconnected the ethernet cable. I turned the Salt electrical breaker back on, checked for voltage and.... 0.00. That was the issue!

Since disconnecting this data cable - there has been no sign of any voltage. I am ordering an RS485 cable. I will install and see if issue is still there or if the cable is the issue or something else is.

I thought I would share my story incase anyone has some thoughts about the problem in general AND as importantly to share in hopes that it may help others in troubleshooting an electrical current in their pool.

Last edited by a moderator:
A RS485 cable is a 22ga 4 wire cable. The antenna comes with 15ft or so of it. I only used 8 ft of it. So I used the remaining to connect my Jandy SWCG to the RED connector on the PCB. This worked fine.

Thanks for sharing your info and Welcome to TFP.

Hi all, I am fairly new to this forum and and a new pool owner. I came to this site because of the great information here.
Pool Info: New pool, Fiberglass shell, fully permitted, inspected and final'd. The electrical was done by a professional and the it is fully bonded. Equipment is all latest Jandy: Variable pump, Propane heater, TruClear salt generator and Aqualink RS automation
Disclaimer: I am not an electrician but have wired 3 of my own homes that I have built so I have quite a bit of knowledge, experience with the right and wrong way to install.

About 3 weeks ago I was in my pool and noticed when I touched the coping it cause a "tingle". There is current in the pool. I immediately turned all equipment off and got out of the pool. I grabbed my volt meter and be ground one side to the coping and inserted the other in the skimmer. With all equipment off there were 0.00 volts appearing. I began to turn on the equipment one breaker at a time. When I turned on the breaker that was powering the Jandy TruClear volts appeared. It fluctuated between 3 - 6.17 volts. Turn the breaker off - back to 0.00. So Isolated to that component. I started trying to narrow down the reasons why this might be causing the problem.
1. Is it part of the bond grid? -- Yes, lug is on the box and #8 wire runs through
2. Is it corroded? - no, but cleaned anyway
3. Is it wired incorrectly at the breaker? - No, wired correctly
4. What changed, if anything since the professional install? ....Well I did install an ethernet cable from the Jandy TruClear to the Aqualink RS so that I could control through the mobile app the salt generation. The pool installers only put it on an Aqualink RS aux switch. After reading the manual more closely, I learned you could automate the chlorination % as well as put it in Boost mode from my phone app. So following directions, I connected an ethernet cable from the TruClear to the Aqulnk RS485 connector on the Aqualink board. It all worked. (The manual did say to use a RS485 cable to connect - I read another forum that used ethernet that worked, I had that on hand so I tried it) Anyway, with this being on variable that had changed un disconnected the ethernet cable. I turned the Salt electrical breaker back on, checked for voltage and.... 0.00. That was the issue!

Since disconnecting this data cable - there has been no sign of any voltage. I am ordering an RS485 cable. I will install and see if issue is still there or if the cable is the issue or something else is.

I thought I would share my story incase anyone has some thoughts about the problem in general AND as importantly to share in hopes that it may help others in troubleshooting an electrical current in their pool.
That’s great info.

It is very unlikely that the type of cable is going to make any difference in your symptoms. Assuming by "Ethernet cable" you mean the typical un-shielded Cat-5 cable (4 pairs) it is typically one notch lighter gauge (24 vs 22) and 4 pairs instead of 2, but otherwise is functionally the same.
I would guess that the triggering issue is ground connection you are adding between the RS unit and the salt controller, when you make up that RS-485 connection. Why this is causing the issue is hard to tell, but I would start by carefully examining both the bonding connections and the electrical ground connections.

Reactions: mas985
I have used ethernet cables for RS485 applications before and in fact I am using it right now between my pool controller and a RS485 to WiFi NIC without incident. I agree that it is likely something else.

I agree, with the wire not being the issue - but thought I'd install to spec and work backwards.
I have a few ideas for troubleshooting and narrowing the issue - I will share as I make progress. For now the automation of chlorine generation will me getting a few more steps in to the TruClear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.