Electrical Capacity for Heat Pump

Cag41873

Aug 1, 2023
Valley center,ca
Good morning! I am an electrical dummy and have a question maybe someone can offer advice. I have a 5200 gallon in ground pool. I had 220 pulled to the equipment for an Easy Touch 4P w/ IC 20 included, a Pentair SuperFlo VS 1.5 and Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 320. I have four globrites and two baja shelf bubblers which would not be on anytime I want to run the heater. I wondered if I have enough electrical left over to run a small heat pump. Looking at options to add a heater. Electric would be much easier given how far my propane tank is from the equipment but wanted to see if I have enough electric there. Forgive my dummy knowledge. Thank you!

Wire size and length?

Breaker size feeding the subpanel?

Pictures of the wiring in the subpanel?

Heat pump models being considered?

Heat pumps use a lot of power and the wire size is probably not sufficient if the heat pump capacity was not originally accounted for.

Last edited:
If you have a copper wire size of #8 and a distance of less than 125 feet from the main panel to the subpanel, you can use a 40 amp main panel supply to subpanel breaker and load the subpanel to about 32 amps with a 30 amp breaker at the subpanel going to the heat pump with #10 wire for a 48,000 btu/hr heat pump.

Note: Verify all calculations and code compliance with a licensed local electrician before making any decisions.

Do not rely on my opinion.

1710961376836.png

Last edited: