Ecofinish questions

Mark_123

May 28, 2021
New Orleans
I have an in ground white fiberglass pool 23,000 gallon 16'X36' depth 3'-8' since 97 when we bought house. Pool was put in 80-81 believe it was called an Ester Williams. Had it re-gel coat 2015, lasted till 2022. Last year had Ecofinish put on looked great, had some areas that company will take care of (off season). This year noticed dark brown blotches mainly on vertical part of stairs but small ones else wheres. Checked it out and used vitamin C did the trick. Got some ascorbic acid at pool store. Added it to pool as instructed used Mikes Magic blue after acid, and pool fluff filter. After a day or two running pump, back washed pool looked great spots gone. After 4-5 days noticed a brownish ring around pool. Checked an area with ascorbic acid and presto ring disappears. I am on well water so not a great mystery where coming from but never had this bad an issue. How do you keep all metal out of pool once stains removed?
Thanks for any thoughts on the matter.

You have iron in your water. When you lift the iron off the surfaces it moves to suspension in the water. If you don't keep it in suspension using a sequestrant or filter the iron with polyfill or drain the pool and replace it with fresh water the iron will redeposit on the surfaces.

You have iron in your water. When you lift the iron off the surfaces it moves to suspension in the water. If you don't keep it in suspension using a sequestrant or filter the iron with polyfill or drain the pool and replace it with fresh water the iron will redeposit on the surfaces.

Yeah thats what I figured, although using Mikes stuff and the the polyfill afterwards thought that would do it. I guess have to keep doing several treatments in a row. That ascorbic really sucks chlorine down and since temps are still over 100 I may weight a little. I used the Jacks magic Mikes Blue, would the Purple be better? By the way those treatments should not affect the Ecofinish correct?

Yeah thats what I figured, although using Mikes stuff and the the polyfill afterwards thought that would do it.

I am not sure what Mike's Magic is. There is Jack's Magic and there is a sequestrant Metal Magic.

If you are using a sequestrant it degrades in a few weeks and needs to be constantly renewed.

I used the Jacks magic Mikes Blue, would the Purple be better?

I don't think it makes a lot of difference.

By the way those treatments should not affect the Ecofinish correct?

Ecofinish is very hard. The stains and treatments are cosmetic.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.