ecoFINISH aquaBRIGHT longterm review

There's two part to colored plaster that are important. The first is if you want to have colored plaster then the colorant must come from an inorganic dye. For example, if you want a blue color to your plaster, then it should be mixed with a pigment blend that contains "cobalt blue" which is cobalt aluminate (CoAl2O4). Cobalt blue is an inorganic oxide of cobalt and aluminum that is completely color-fast (resist oxidation by chlorine). Unfortunately, many plaster mixes will use organic dyes (carbon compound) as colorants and those dyes are highly susceptible to bleaching. Second, if you want to avoid plaster color variations and white-spotting, then the applicator must not use calcium chloride accelerant in their mix and the guys doing the trowel work must be very careful to trowel properly and avoid using a lot of water to lubricate the trowel. Increasing water content at the surface can change the properties of the cement which can lead to color variation.

Lighter colors and grey are definitely better than dark colors, but skill matters too. Its really important to discuss these issues with the applicator to see if they're willing to do what is best for your final outcome rather than easiest for them to get done.

For what it's worth, light colors make the pool look bigger, and it's easy to see a stray worm or leaf that's not yet been picked up by the cleaner. Same for pool toys and swim goggles. Underwater swim-outs, ledges and steps are easier to see with a light finish, which is good for older people and also for kids when they're going crazy as part of some game they've invented. It's also easy to see if you've been slack on brushing the walls of the pool, or if any sort of stain problem is developing that needs correction. The water itself "looks" blue with all plaster colors, though the darker the plaster, the more the plaster dominates. Just commenting because I think there are many good reasons to go light.

Our Ecofinish is fabulous. Make sure you have a good installer and ask for customer recommendations or contacts. So happy we went with this finish. Looks as good as when it was installed a few years ago!
My Aquabright pool also looks fabulous. It appears there has been no degradation in the four years since it was installed.

Here is my somewhat “long” term Aquabright review.
I’ve had it 2 years now. New pool build when installed. It is amazing in every way other than the complete lack of service from the EcoFinish trained installer used. I just have a couple of areas where it needs a repair done. My pool builder had to subcontract with what was the closest trained Aquabright installer around here and the subcontractor should be who fixed the damaged areas I have on steps and sun ledge.
I know everyone is super busy but the follow up and response is TERRIBLE.
Other than that, it’s really easy to keep the chemicals balanced, no algae problems,it feels great on the feet, looks great, can’t say enough positive about it. Buuutttt.....I hesitate to recommend it unless you would have someone that provides dependable service and follow up in your area.
When I move again and build the next pool as much as I would like the same I will not do it again. If I stay in this area I will use the same PB since he is stellar but no way on the Aquabright unless someone else comes into my marketplace that installs it. Such a shame as it’s a great pool finish.

Reactions: kekin
So now my additional long term follow up. Friday the subcontractor finally came out to do this repair. I have to say I was pretty impressed with how easy it was. I’m further now impressed with this pool finish but really wish EcoFinish could have more resources and contractors to do service for pool owners that have or want the finish.
Process for the repair was, after it was drained below where the repairs needed, they power washed it, taped off the fittings and the coping and then just sprayed over it with the Aquabright. The only “issue” was they applied the wrong color at first. They finished with it and then asked me to come look. It was obvious it was too light. He then had to reapply the correct color over the top. All in all it was so much easier than anything to do with any other gunite pool finished needing any repair.

Last edited:
I'm glad you got your repair done. I'm following this thread as I have a pool in Plano that will soon need re-surfacing, and this finish looks ideal to me.
I have to think the issues with service are due to it being relatively new and not having enough certified installers around. Makes me wonder if a career change is in order. It'd be cool to play with a flamethrower all day. :D

I'm glad you got your repair done. I'm following this thread as I have a pool in Plano that will soon need re-surfacing, and this finish looks ideal to me.
I have to think the issues with service are due to it being relatively new and not having enough certified installers around. Makes me wonder if a career change is in order. It'd be cool to play with a flamethrower all day. :D

I am also an interested candidate in the DFW area for a resurface on my pool. I have been following this thread for a while.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.