Eating chlorine and climbing ph

SLackuR

Oct 29, 2019
Placentia, CA
The pool has been pretty amazing since I SLAMED in June (algae issue) but I feel now im just burning thru chlorine. I've been trying to keep her around 3 to 6 but I feel like every day I'm having to add. Im losing 2 to 5 ppm during the day. I only use liquid chlorine from home depot or bags of granular from Leslie's (no stabilizer included). Also ill use muriatic acid to get my PH to 7.2 but in a matter of days it will climb back up to 8.0+. I'm losing practically 0 chlorine at night.

As of this morning

FC=6 ( added 2 gallons liquid chlorine last nite)
CC=0
PH=8+
TA= 80
CH= 500
CYA=35

My harness is high but it always has been. Is losing that much chlorine and climbing PH seem normal? I've been testing everyday with the k-2006 which is new fairly new to me. (Owned this pool for 3 years) I've only used cheater strips in the past. I don't mind adding everyday just curious if it is normal.

Thanks.

In your climate, that FC consumption per day right now is normal.
Do not use cal hypo. It adds calcium. You do not need that.

In your climate, that FC consumption per day right now is normal.
Do not use cal hypo. It adds calcium. You do not need that.
Good to hear. Does the climbing PH seem normal? The granular product I use is 72% cal hypo. I didn't pay attention to that. The liquid is 10% sodium hypo. It's HDX from home depot. It's cheap is the reason why I use it. But if I have to pay few extra bucks to keep the levels up I'm willing to do that.

Thank you

pH climbs as your fill water is high in TA. As you add that to your pool, the pH climbs. Test pH several times a week and keep pH in the 7’s.

Your situation with pH and MA are similar to mine. Does your TA naturally stay at 80? If it tends to drift downward, try letting it go to 60 or even 50 (but not below). I was able to do this, and the pH drift became 2x slower (8 days to get from 7.4 to 8.0 vs 4 in mid-summer, when it's fastest).

The Wiki article on this topic (very much worth reading) says "The higher the TA the more rapid the pH will rise over time."

Adding chlorine daily is normal and 2 to 5ppm daily loss due to UV is also normal.
You might consider investing in a salt water chlorine generator if you don’t want to worry as much about FC.

I have high TA fill water; buying and using MA is normal to me. As you add MA, you lower TA, which stops the pH from changing as quickly. For now, test daily, add chemicals daily (Mainly LC), and be careful not to add any more CH.

Your situation with pH and MA are similar to mine. Does your TA naturally stay at 80? If it tends to drift downward, try letting it go to 60 or even 50 (but not below). I was able to do this, and the pH drift became 2x slower (8 days to get from 7.4 to 8.0 vs 4 in mid-summer, when it's fastest).

The Wiki article on this topic (very much worth reading) says "The higher the TA the more rapid the pH will rise over time."
My TA has been pretty consistent at 80. Lowest I've seen is 70 the morning after adding muriatic acid to drop the ph. I'll try to keep it below 80 and see if it helps thanks.

Adding chlorine daily is normal and 2 to 5ppm daily loss due to UV is also normal.
You might consider investing in a salt water chlorine generator if you don’t want to worry as much about FC.

I have high TA fill water; buying and using MA is normal to me. As you add MA, you lower TA, which stops the pH from changing as quickly. For now, test daily, add chemicals daily (Mainly LC), and be careful not to add any more CH.
Sounds good I'll stop using the granules and see if it helps my ch. Ty

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.