wireform

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
TFP Guide
In The Industry
Aug 15, 2017
Spring Valley, NY
Not pool in signature:
New customer with a Easytouch 8 and a Sta-Rite 400 overshot the temperature by seven degrees. Not that it stopped on its own but rather I got confused looking at the display and let it heat until I thought the water was warmer then the set point. So water temperature was at 82° and the set for 75°, where am I looking. It was dark so didn't want to open the panel then again it's a 4 year old install and I'm almost certain it would've been set up correctly....

Update
Was at the heater this morning but no time to open up stuff. I did check the heater display and was set to 104 which means it was set up to be controlled by the Easytouch panel. I will be there later today again so where would I look to resolve this. Thanks, Allan

WF,

In theory, when the EasyTouch is controlling the heater, the heater should be set to full hot (104). This is how it works..

The heater is controled by two wires between the heater and the EasyTouch. The heater operates off of 24 VAC. This AC is sent to the EasyTouch on one wire which is connected to the Gas heater connection. The Gas heater connection is controlled by a small relay on the main card.

The EasyTouch's water temp sensor is used to control when the heater turns on and off. When the water temp is below the set point, the small gas heater relay will close. This sends the 24 VAC back to the heater, on the second wire, and this tells the heater to heat... Since it is set to full hot, it will just keep heating until the water temp gets above the set point. Once the water temp gets above the set point, the gas heater relay will open, which shuts the heater off.

The gas heater relay can be stuck open or closed.

If stuck closed, the heater will never shut off. If stuck open the heater will never come on.

The relay can be stuck closed due to a bad relay, or a bad IC Chip that controls the relay.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Not pool in signature:
New customer with a Easytouch 8 and a Sta-Rite 400 overshot the temperature by seven degrees. Not that it stopped on its own but rather I got confused looking at the display and let it heat until I thought the water was warmer then the set point. So water temperature was at 82° and the set for 75°, where am I looking. It was dark so didn't want to open the panel then again it's a 4 year old install and I'm almost certain it would've been set up correctly....
Could be a bad water-temp sensor. How did you measure the temperature?

There are two temperature controls in play here.

The EasyTouch temperature control and the MasterTemp temperature control.

It is not clear from the various posts above which temperature control is being discussed.

The MasterTemp should never exceed it's setpoint with its temperature control. The EasyTouch can control the MasterTemp up to the MasterTemp setpoint. Even with the EasyTouch heater relay welded shut the MasterTemp should not exceed its control panel setpoint.

If the MasterTemp is exceeding its control panel setpoint then the problem is in the MasterTemp water thermistor or the PCB.

Could be a bad water-temp sensor. How did you measure the temperature?
I didn't measure but went by the Easytouch screen but the water feels warmer then the 75 it's set to. Need to manually check that. Will inform what I find.
Just another question though, if I lower the temp on the heater to 87 and it holds there is that an inclination to what is awry ?

WF,

In theory, when the EasyTouch is controlling the heater, the heater should be set to full hot (104). This is how it works..

The heater is controled by two wires between the heater and the EasyTouch. The heater operates off of 24 VAC. This AC is sent to the EasyTouch on one wire which is connected to the Gas heater connection. The Gas heater connection is controlled by a small relay on the main card.

The EasyTouch's water temp sensor is used to control when the heater turns on and off. When the water temp is below the set point, the small gas heater relay will close. This sends the 24 VAC back to the heater, on the second wire, and this tells the heater to heat... Since it is set to full hot, it will just keep heating until the water temp gets above the set point. Once the water temp gets above the set point, the gas heater relay will open, which shuts the heater off.

The gas heater relay can be stuck open or closed.

If stuck closed, the heater will never shut off. If stuck open the heater will never come on.

The relay can be stuck closed due to a bad relay, or a bad IC Chip that controls the relay.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I can stop the heater from the Easytouch by pressing the heater button so we know something is working.

I didn't measure but went by the Easytouch screen but the water feels warmer then the 75 it's set to. Need to manually check that. Will inform what I find.
Just another question though, if I lower the temp on the heater to 87 and it holds there is that an inclination to what is awry ?

I am confused.

There are 5 temperatures in play:
  1. EasyTouch heat setpoint
  2. EasyTouch displayed water temperature
  3. MasterTemp control panel heat setpoint
  4. MasterTemp control panel water temperature displayed
  5. Actual water temperature as measured by a reliable thermometer.
If the MasterTemp setpoint is set to 87 and the heater stops there while the EasyTouch setpoint was set at 75 then the problem is in the EasyTouch and probably a welded shut heater relay on the ET board.

I am confused.

There are 5 temperatures in play:
  1. EasyTouch heat setpoint
  2. EasyTouch displayed water temperature
  3. MasterTemp control panel heat setpoint
  4. MasterTemp control panel water temperature displayed
  5. Actual water temperature as measured by a reliable thermometer.
If the MasterTemp setpoint is set to 87 and the heater stops there while the EasyTouch setpoint was set at 75 then the problem is in the EasyTouch and probably a welded shut heater relay on the ET board.
Sorry for the delayed response. The heater is set to the max 104 via its own panel and the EasyTouch is doing the sensing and control. I had the set point @75 and the water temp per display was 82. When I looked at the screen I confused which was the 82 and which was the 75. Once I realized I set for 75 only then did I perceive the overshoot. I agree most likely the relay is melted "closed" so the heater kept going. For the next bit till I can tackle the relay I'll set the heater itself to the desired setting which I think should work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry for the delayed response. The heater is set to the max 104 via its own panel and the EasyTouch is doing the sensing and control. I had the set point @75 and the water temp per display was 82. When I looked at the screen I confused which was the 82 and which was the 75. Once I realized I set for 75 only then did I perceive the overshoot. I agree most likely the relay is melted "closed" so the heater kept going. For the next bit till I can tackle the relay I'll set the heater itself to the desired setting which I think should work.
Power the system off, including the automation. Pull the wires off the connector on the board. Test for continuity between the two screws. If there is continuity the relay is bad. If not the issue is probably a bad sensor, either in the heater or the water temp sensor for the automation.

• Love
Reactions: wireform