EasyTouch - which circuits to enable freeze protection on?

Jan 19, 2018
Henderson, NV
We've had quite a bit of a cold snap which has lead to frequent freeze protection triggers this winter. I've seen it trigger in past winters but I never noticed until the other day that it also includes the spa circuit. From what I read recently, it alternates between pool and spa (or I assume whatever circuits you have freeze protect enabled on).

But this got me thinking because, (1) actual pipe freezing is highly unlikely here (I'm not saying I want to disable the feature though), and (2) the pool circuit and especially the spa circuit run at fairly high pump speeds - I assume waaaay more than needed to protect pipes from freezing.

In my setup, when I run the pool circuit, the water enters the spa and spills into the pool. So I'm wondering if I could/should use my currently unused Aux3 circuit to run the pool at a slow speed (and therefore also run water through the spa), enable that circuit for freeze protection, and disable freeze protection for the pool and spa circuits? Or would that not be sufficient to protect all of the spa's plumbing?

I also have a waterfall feature and I saw some mentions that it should be included in freeze protect as well? I sort of hope not because it may be more noticeable in terms of noise in the early morning hours if the waterfall kicks on. But if there's water in the pipes leading to the waterfall then it makes sense to keep it flowing.

For something to freeze in our area, it would need to be a once in a lifetime event. I know of once in the last 40 years that here in Laughlin it got into the low 20-'s and there were freezing issues with exposed pipes (most houses have the water lines run in the attic).

So it is really up to you. If you are willing to monitor the weather, you could just use Screenlogic to turn on the Freeze Protection when an event is forecast. Or you can set up a Feature with a lower rpm and only set the Freeze protect to that. It will not protect the Spa suction line nor your waterfall (if it is on a separate pump system).

The other item is the autofill system. I have mine on an auto valve to run an hour each day. I suspect that would freeze before the larger pool lines.

Reactions: Trivegas
If you just run water through the spa return and spillover when in freeze protection you have no water flowing in the pool return side of the valve. You can get freezing in the pool return pipes. That is the reason for the valves alternating during freeze protection.

If you just run water through the spa return and spillover when in freeze protection you have no water flowing in the pool return side of the valve.
afaik, there's still water going through the pool's return line even when it is also being fed from the spa's spillover. That's the way I thought it works but now you have me second guessing and I need to confirm. Afaik, there is not even a way to run just the pool without also utilizing the spillover. Does that make sense?

afaik, there's still water going through the pool's return line even when it is also being fed from the spa's spillover. That's the way I thought it works but now you have me second guessing and I need to confirm.

That is different when running in SPA mode when all return water goes to your spa.

Afaik, there is not even a way to run just the pool without also utilizing the spillover. Does that make sense?
There is. Your builder just did not set you up properly.

You need to enable SPILLWAY on your EasyTouch.

And then adjust the cam on your return actuator so the spa return is fully closed in POOL mode. Unless you have a spa makeup line with a valve that can be closed.

Or you can set up a Feature with a lower rpm and only set the Freeze protect to that. It will not protect the Spa suction line nor your waterfall (if it is on a separate pump system).
This is what I was considering - using a separate circuit just for FP (I already have a Aux3 circuit being unused) but I wasn't thinking of the spa suction line. Hmmm, even though it's a once in a lifetime thing for our area I'm still a little paranoid about not having FP on. Just don't like the silly waste of expensive power to run the normal spa/pool circuits.

The waterfall is not on its own pump - is the FP only needed if has it's own pump? I guess I wasn't sure if the line from the waterfall valve to the waterfall outlet should get flow when freeze protect is on. If so, it's not currently since that valve circuit is not FP-enabled.

That is different when running in SPA mode when all return water goes to your spa.
Ah, yeah that makes sense. I was probably unclear but I was considering using my Aux3 circuit which, as far as I can tell, is identical to pool mode, i.e. I didn't mean to imply just running the spa when in FP mode.

There is. Your builder just did not set you up properly.
Ha, figures. I'm not sure I really need that though. Is there a good advantage of that?

No need to use a relay. You can set up a feature to do what you want.

The waterfall will not be included.

Is there a good advantage of that?

Constant running of the spillover causes aeration which causes your pH to rise more rapidly. Yiu get a more stable pH without the spillover running.

Also high levels of evaporation can cause more scale buildup on the spa spillover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.