Gold Supporter
May 14, 2022
Northern CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all, Im planning a build to add EasyTouch automation to an older pool/spa. I am looking at the PSL4 and am hoping to control these items:

- Intelliflow VS main filter pump via RS232
- Waterfall pump via aux relay
- Pool light via aux relay
- Spa jet blower via aux relay
- Polaris booster pump for pressure cleaner via aux relay. This typically comes on for 3 hours in the middle of the 8 hour main filter pump cycle.

However, it would seem Im one relay short. I would like to avoid the extra expense of PSL8 if possible. As for the booster pump, are there any other options?

- Main filter relay: Since the intelliflow is controlled via serial comms, can i use this relay for my booster somehow?
- Solar, extra bonus relays: Can these be used for the booster?
- Add an extra relay, or does this also require a new main board essentially turning this into a PSL8?

A,

The "L" in the P/N PSL4 stands for "lite" as in lite salad dressing that no one can eat.

You will not be happy with that model.. It is a cheap knockoff of a real EasyTouch.

It only have 4 schedules max and only two feature circuits. It has no load center for your circuit breakers.

I don't believe there is an PSL8..

Do you plan to have a saltwater pool?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim I had no idea about those limitations, Im replacing an old subpanel with two mechanical timers so I definitely need space for breakers. So it looks like Im looking at the 520538 and would add the screenlogic interface too. In that case, would I have enough high voltage relays to control my 4 HV circuits if I use rs232 for the main pump? Im not planning on saltwater in the immediate but it would be nice to have that option in the future.

A,

The EasyTouch 4 comes with 4 HV relays, but one of them is dedicated as the Pump/Filter relay, whether you use it or not. This leaves you with 3 HV relays.

- Waterfall pump via aux relay
- Pool light via aux relay
- Spa jet blower via aux relay
- Polaris booster pump

Each of the above need a relay. You might think about a light over your equipment pad, plus what else you might want to add later.

Just to make sure you know.. Any lights that you want to independently control will need a relay. So, if you want to turn on the pool light and not the spa light you will need two relays. If you want the pool light to be a different color than the spa light, you will need two relays.

The standard EasyTouch has what is called an Aux X relay connection, so you can add a HV relay, but it will have no physical button. It can be turned on by programming or ScreenLogic or from a menu selection using the little 3" LCD.

I have an EasyTouch 4 that I had upgraded to an EasyTouch 8 plus ScreenLogic. I absolutely love it... That said, it I were to build a new pool today, I'd buy the new IntelliCenter.

The EasyTouch (ET) has 12 schedules, the IntelliCenter (IC) has 100 schedules
To use your phone or PC with the ET, you need to buy ScreenLogic. The IC comes with a built in system that allows you to use your phone or PC
The ET is a black and white alphanumeric system. The IC is a color touch screen system
The ET's Firmware can't be updated by the user. The IC is just like your PC and can be updated via the Internet. (This can be both good and bad)
The ET + ScreenLogic costs just about the same as the new IC.

I have a simple system that works well with the EasyTouch, and as much as I would like to upgrade to the new IntelliCenter, I don't think it would be worth the price or the effort. But.. if I had to start all over, I'd go with the new IntelliCenter.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Virtually every time I installed an automation system that wasn't the 8 (CP3800, RS8, PS8, EZT8) the customer later regretted not having the extra capacity and weren't happy when I a.) tried to convince them otherwise (You're just trying to make more money!) and b.) told them it couldn't be done with what they purchased when they wanted to expand.
It is worth the difference in cost. This is a long-term investment in enjoying your pool.

Thanks guys, the Intellicenter does seem like a more modern version of the ET. I like that it includes the new valve actuators too. Anyone know if the Intellicenter i5PS has the equivalent of the ET's AUX X feature? The price difference is significant enough with the i8PS that I would probably stick with i5 as I have no more circuits to control, although I do understand the argument for the future. AUX X or using something like the very interesting nodejs-poolcontroller project could be a way to boost capacity at a less shocking price point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.