Easiest and quickest way to find air leak?

microscopes

Silver Supporter
Jun 1, 2016
Buffalo, NY
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Solaxx (Saltron) Reliant / Purechlor R5
My suction side is water tight but apparently not air tight. I have a steady stream of bubbles coming out of the return port into the pool. Not just steady, but also A LOT of bubbles. You can clearly see it, so there is a lot of air in the line.

I have tried a new o-ring on the filter basket. And I have read mixed reviews about pouring water over each union and coupling (doesn’t reach bottom of fitting leaks). Are there any other good ideas to identify where the air leak is originating?

Also, is a big air leak like this dangerous in any way? I just installed a new Pentair clean and clear 320. The bubbles were happening before the new filter so the filter is not the issue. I keep having to turn the filter valve to the on position to release air quite often

Take a water hose to all of the suction side fittings, unions, drain plugs, etc. Once you hit the source of the air, the bubbles will stop immediately and the pump pot will fill. Easiest way I’ve ever found, by far.

Reactions: microscopes
Take a water hose to all of the suction side fittings, unions, drain plugs, etc. Once you hit the source of the air, the bubbles will stop immediately and the pump pot will fill. Easiest way I’ve ever found, by far.

I’ve heard the hose idea is hit or miss (because of the leak is on the underside, it won’t hit it) but i’ll give it a try. Thanks!

I’ve heard the hose idea is hit or miss (because of the leak is on the underside, it won’t hit it) but i’ll give it a try. Thanks!
I think the water surface tension and gravity are working in your favor. I think you’ll be surprised!

Reactions: microscopes
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.