DuPont Salt Water Stone Sealer

gocubs418

May 3, 2016
Dallas/TX
All,

Long time since I posted, had my hands full. So the pool has been outstanding especially the SWCG, however, I had an issue with "dusting" on all of my pool ledges. One theory is that the flagstone was spalling or dusting into the pool from the salt water. They recommended that I sealed all the coping and grotto and see if that worked.

I ordered 2 gals of DuPont/Laticrete Sealer and a 1 gal pump sprayer, wow, it was ridiculously easy. Places wanted to charge $3 a sq ft to install. I paid $100 bucks for the materials and I applied two coats within a day. The stuff is pretty much like water so it runs very fast. As long as you don't leave puddles of the stuff laying on it, you shouldn't have any white residue left over. I turned off all of my water features a day before, the TX heat dried the stone up nicely, I didn't power wash because the stone is only 10 months old and still looks great. For the inner walls, I used a chip paint brush and just applied it like I was spreading marinade on the grill.

I had two solid days of really high heat and sun so yesterday I tested it and its pretty cool! The water just sits on top of the stone.

I was very careful not to get water on the stone when I was applying, I did noticed a few dark spots that looks like I missed a few water drops, but very small. As for getting it in the pool, good luck not getting any in there, but just don't get too much and you will be fine. It say on top of my water for a bit then formed into a gel in my skimmer so I just pulled it out of the pool.

SUPER easy, don't pay someone to do it, save the cash for pool floats or what not.

As for the dusting, I will have to report back.

Good info - When I checked into sealing my Austin stone on the back wall before switch to SWG, everyone told me the sealer would likely peal and look bad. So many opinions and so little real life experiences. I am very interested to see how this holds up over time. At this point I am committed to moving to SWG with stone as is and gaining my own experience.

Good info - When I checked into sealing my Austin stone on the back wall before switch to SWG, everyone told me the sealer would likely peal and look bad. So many opinions and so little real life experiences. I am very interested to see how this holds up over time. At this point I am committed to moving to SWG with stone as is and gaining my own experience.

Yup, I will let everyone know how it holds up. I expect it to last 2 seasons. Some of the stone took it a little odd, kinda made the stone white, but I will take a scrub brush and some MA and clean it up. I have heard peeling can happen with different sealers. I honestly cannot see it possible happened, you wouldn't even know it is there.

Oh and in case someone was wondering, I had no discoloration of my stone, it looks identical to before I applied it. If it was slightly darker, very very very tough to tell.

The main point is just to say please apply it yourself if you can. Someone wanted to charge me $300 to apply it and I was this close to letting them | |.

I agree. I had someone do it for 300 and then I did it myself this last time. It lasts a few years... probably not a bad idea to do it every two years. No discoloring of the rock in my case, no white spots either. Did you leave some excess material dry on the rock? I uses a pump sprayer to do my deck and the just a mop head to even it out and soak up the extra. Really easy and really simple. It does help with the sand feeling that my flagstone had before sealing it.

I agree. I had someone do it for 300 and then I did it myself this last time. It lasts a few years... probably not a bad idea to do it every two years. No discoloring of the rock in my case, no white spots either. Did you leave some excess material dry on the rock? I uses a pump sprayer to do my deck and the just a mop head to even it out and soak up the extra. Really easy and really simple. It does help with the sand feeling that my flagstone had before sealing it.

I honestly didn't have that much excess when I pumped it. I went back after doing the perimeter and soaked it up with a rag. A mop is a great idea.

So easy!

Anyone have bad dusting with a SWCG and travertine? Wondering if I need to apply something similar to my travertine also?

I thought Travertine is a pretty dense stone? I know that travertine allegedly will pit from salt water, but thats just hear say. I can't see travertine dusting into the pool.

I honestly didn't have that much excess when I pumped it. I went back after doing the perimeter and soaked it up with a rag. A mop is a great idea.

So easy!

I thought Travertine is a pretty dense stone? I know that travertine allegedly will pit from salt water, but thats just hear say. I can't see travertine dusting into the pool.
Well it's been a couple years now....how is your stone holding up, and are you happy with the sealer? I just installed a SWCG a few months ago and I'm already seeing my travertine stone deteriorating, so I'm looking to put down a sealer.

Well it's been a couple years now....how is your stone holding up, and are you happy with the sealer? I just installed a SWCG a few months ago and I'm already seeing my travertine stone deteriorating, so I'm looking to put down a sealer.
it seemed to do fine. You have to apply it probably every other year snd it will help. I am building a new pool with Oklahoma flagstone and other rock walls so will likely be applying again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.