Dumb questions - Why pool store / product advice different?

chem geek said:
You are assuming that their superiors are well-informed.

In facts: No. I do not assume they hold onto the information. I criticize that they do NOTHING to get the real information in the first place.

Star Wars, the roleplaying game (yup, darkside comes from there) states that the Bluff Check difficulty is lessened if your target wishes to believe you. And profit margins makes you VERY gullible.
*Bluff check is when you roll a dice to determine the outcome of, well, a bluff attempt.*

I could have been in the very same position as their superiors, it is easy to be swayed by the industry, what they tell you makes sense the way they put it. But, like in any other aspect of their lives, they SHOULD take it with a grain of salt. It should be part of their duty to question their sources, as information is readily available...

Even HTH on http://www.hthpools.com/ , the troubleshooting section, gives information on overstabilisation. But they don't do any research, don't explore possible explanations, nope. God-mode Algaes was their diagnostic. I am pretty sure the teenage clerk didn't come up with this explanation. They believed their superior's hypothesis, because, hey, what do THEY know?

Darkside of the Pool said:
''You'd think you'd hear about more problems if everyone was doing the trichlor thing.''

Actually, you'd be surprised how easy other culprits are made up. Sometimes by the customer (did I forget?), sometimes by the clerk (your chlorine's gotten lazy, shock it), sometimes by the industry (did you test for the phosphate level? Phosphates causes a lot of pool to turn green, it eats chlorine.).
Here's a dire mistake I apologize for: Instead of ''made up by the clerk'' I should have said ''taught to the clerk by an ignorant superior''.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.