Due for a new pool coating? Not sure what this is or who to contact...

GaryV512

Oct 18, 2023
Central TX
Thanks, we recently bought a mid-80's home with an existing pool. I'm catching up with the benignly neglected maintenance of the previous owner. Based on the attached pictures, I'm due for some maintenance of the coating that's on my pool.

The biggest peeling is on the stairs as shown, with the white material of the core pool material showing thru. I see a few small bubbles with the white of the underlying core showing thru in a few other spots around the pool

I'm asking for assistance and info, as I don't know what my pool white base material is (some kid of plastic or fiberglass?), or what the blue coating material or black primer is, or even what type of company I should be contacting to get the pool re-coated.

Who should I be calling and what should I be asking to have done, and obviously what should I expect to be paying for a re-coating of a 16x32 rectangle pool that is 7ft in the deep end. Should I do the whole pool or just the steps? Is this a DIY or trust the pro's item. Thanks very much for your input!!!

Gary

Attachments

• 20230927_094549sm.jpg
    20230927_094549sm.jpg
    532.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20231105_070142sm.jpg
    20231105_070142sm.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 25
Thanks, we recently bought a mid-80's home with an existing pool. I'm catching up with the benignly neglected maintenance of the previous owner. Based on the attached pictures, I'm due for some maintenance of the coating that's on my pool.

The biggest peeling is on the stairs as shown, with the white material of the core pool material showing thru. I see a few small bubbles with the white of the underlying core showing thru in a few other spots around the pool

I'm asking for assistance and info, as I don't know what my pool white base material is (some kid of plastic or fiberglass?), or what the blue coating material or black primer is, or even what type of company I should be contacting to get the pool re-coated.

Who should I be calling and what should I be asking to have done, and obviously what should I expect to be paying for a re-coating of a 16x32 rectangle pool that is 7ft in the deep end. Should I do the whole pool or just the steps? Is this a DIY or trust the pro's item. Thanks very much for your input!!!

Gary
Are the tiles around the edge real tiles or simulated? Unfortunately it looks like someone painted the pool instead of either re-gelcoating (if it’s a fiberglass pool) or replastering (if it’s a concrete/gunite pool). The modern pool paints just don’t last very long.

If I did want to keep going with a coating like that, I’d strip all the old stuff off and use an epoxy based coating.

The “tile” and coping is most definitely plastic. Probably need to have them do that while we're at it. It's getting brittle from the sun...

So what kind of pool company does this work? Most I find around here are "pool cleaning" services...

G

The “tile” and coping is most definitely plastic. Probably need to have them do that while we're at it. It's getting brittle from the sun...

So what kind of pool company does this work? Most I find around here are "pool cleaning" services...

G
“Pool renovation” companies.

Reactions: GaryV512
For what it’s worth to the thread, I found the “type” of company I’m looking for. The category is “fiberglass resurfacing”. These “regional” teams that travel to where needed. Just need to make some calls and get it scheduled. Thanks!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.