Poolsnotmygame

Apr 25, 2019
Massapequa, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey guys, so I opened my pool early this year because last year I waited till around Memorial Day and it was a disaster. Took over 3 weeks to clear the algae and I was new at pools. This year I have the pool opened around mid April and it’s been clear sinc early May.. I live in Long Island Ny and recently been having some animal trouble. Since I’m one of the few to have a pool open this early the ducks have found my pool as a place of reprieve. I keep scaring away the ducks and they return shortly after less afraid of me. I’ve resorted to throwing things , screaming, and hoping my pug puppy will scare them away for good with her less than ferocious bark. But alas. To no avail. Does anyone else have a problem like this? I dont know what to do, I don’t want them raising a family in my pool. I was hoping to jump in on the first warm day of the season. Not have to slam the pool again.

I usually get one duck, every other year, for a one time visit.
Not this year. A pair of Mallards have been showing up daily for a week!
I shoo'd them away each time and have not seen them for awhile. fingers crossed.

I have exact same duck problem for the first time this year. The Mallard ducks are not afraid. I chase them with my skimmer pole and they come back. They sun themselves on the pool deck. Actually found an egg on the deck as well. They leave droppings on sun shelf. I keep my pool perfect thanks to TFP school, I am not happy and need a plan.
I am going to try the hose spray but I can't be out there all day. (the alligator toy is a joke).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ducks have been an issue for me this spring too. Solar cover did not discourage them much - just got filthy with poo. Also, they seem to drop eggs if they don't have a formal nest in time. So have cleaned up multiple eggs from the cover. Finally gave up on that and washed it down & rolled it up. Now they just poo in the water and drop the occasional egg. Have been scaring them off whenever I can.

Finally had to SLAM as the SWG couldn't keep up and the water was getting cloudier. Back to crystal clear (day 2 of SLAM) and hoping to end it if I pass the overnight test. Didn't see or hear any ducks today so hoping maybe the worst is over.

If it happens again my next step is a good quality infrared sprinkler unit. My other thought has been to stretch a few wires across to discourage them.

So, the hose seemed to work. I also took care of a nest. I don’t think they liked that. Same day, I placed fishing line like a laser trap thing from mission impossible for 3 days. Took it down once I saw my neighbor opened their pool. The ducks are swimming over there now. Whatever.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.