Dual or Variable Speed?

Belo

Jun 6, 2013
Rochester, NY
Troubleshooting an issue right now that might just require a new gfci, or possibly a new pump.

I am not the original owner and don't know how old this outdoor pump is. dyna-tech C1245 (looks like this model is sold by several companies). Can't decode serial number for manufacture date, maybe somebody knows? 130611E0312.

Anyhow, I'm looking at new pumps just in case and I'm not sure what makes the most sense. Right now I run about 10 hours a day off and on using a manual timer installed at the panel. Pool also has a brominator for sanitizing.

Current pump is single speed 1HP @ 3450rpm. I pay ~.09kwh.

I assume this isn't a yes or no answer, but I'm wondering if I can run the pump at 1/2 speed at maybe longer hours each day and just use full speed for vac? Is there any benefit to the variable speed vs the dual for my situation?

A pump like this looks like it would fit my current system.
Pentair WFDS-24 WhisperFlo Up-Rated Dual Speed Energy Efficient 1HP Pool Pump, 115V

This is already about $400 more than just replacing the motor... But I'm not in love with the current wetside system either. Would probably need a professional install as the current piping is pretty old and could use some love.

Variable speed pumps will save you a considerable amount over single speeds. To boot, you usually can get a rebate from your power company (check with them for details). See below for a chart showing savings.

I never run my pump at full speed. Most I run it is 3000rpms during heating cycles.

vsp_costs.jpg

The downside to a dual speed is that if the low speed isn't fast enough to run your brominator, swg or heater (any device that requires a certain flow/pressure to operate), then you end up running at full speed more so there goes your 2 speeds. With a VS, you can "tune" the low speed to run your devices at lower than full speed, and if you look at the previous graph, even it its just a little slower, you can save substantial energy. You can also get power company rebates which might offset some of the cost difference. They also run much quieter. Those are the pros. The con is $$$ upfront cost.

yes, I would say that is correct

another benefit of a vs pump is that since you can control the speed, you can control the noise... my intelliflo runs MUCH quieter than my old 2-speed :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.