Dry chalky skin

madddaug

May 24, 2023
Illinois
I've searched high and low about this, doesn't matter if we use sunscreen or not. It's a new development the last 2 years.
The only different thing we are doing different is using more of the liquid chlorine.
Could this be the reason for the dryness?? I thought it was because we were getting older LOL.
We like to maintain 3 ppm all summer so we do use the liquid here and there but more often of course if it's rained a lot etc.
The water is sparkling clear!
It's kinda embarrassing when friends and family are over, they've noticed it too.
Thanks for your thoughts and input.

Vinyl Liner
Here are the latest test results.
FC 3
TC 3
CC .14
PH 7.6
Alk 130
CH 146
CA 39

How are you testing your pool water chemistry?
TA is high. Can cause skin feel issues.

We like to maintain 3 ppm all summer
How do you achieve this when up to 4ppm burns off a day ?

For $30, I'd buy a K-1766 salt test and add from whatever the salt level is (way more than you think) to somewhere in the low 2000s.

We also 3 inch chlorine pucks but at a minimum setting for those.
We don't rely completely on liquid.
Have a read through our Pool Care Basics and FC/CYA Levels. Any level on this chart, including SLAM level is not only equal, but less harsh than tap water with 0 CYA and up to 4 ppm FC. (Your 39 CYA rounds to 40)

lc_chart.jpg

Dry skin is one thing, but you're risking a swamp by being fixated on as little chlorine as possible. If algae can grow, so can all the nasties like bacteria and swimmer to swimmer transmissions.

I'd try salt to see if the feel improves, and considerably more chlorine so that it isn't dry skin *and* swimmers itch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.