Drowning Prevented

I can relate my own story about how panic can paralyze. I learned to scuba dive when I was on a one-year assignment with IBM in Boca Raton, Florida. When I was back home a few years later, a friend of mine and I went to Point Lobos to dive. Unlike Florida, the northern California Pacific Coast is cold water and on this day it was particularly cold at 48ºF. Even with a wet suit, it felt cold wherever there was skin exposure (and when first getting into the water).

Anyway, the area we went into had a kelp forest and at some point I got caught in it on the way back. I couldn't make any progress going forward and with the wave action I felt like I was getting carried out to sea (but in reality the kelp probably wasn't moving that way). My friend had gone ahead of me (which you aren't supposed to do with the "buddy" system) and even though I had dive gear, I started to feel the sense of panic. At least I was able to call out, but as I struggled more and made no progress my body almost went into auto-pilot. I then remembered my training and just trusted the equipment, took slow deep breaths and waited to calm down. At that point I was able to slowly disentangle myself and move back along the surface (under water it was nearly impossible to know which way to go -- I don't recall if I had a compass).

I had a year of scuba diving experience yet could have "lost it". It's a sober reminder of how instinctual our body functions operate to try and protect us, but may limit our abilities for a particular situation.

How scary for you! I had a similar experience with my son. When he was about 10, a much older and bigger boy challenged him to a race across the pool. Both jumped in and the other boy, a dog-paddler, came up and started paddling directly above my son who was swimming underwater. My son is a very strong swimmer, but could not come up for air as the other boy swam over him. They started kind of thrashing together as my son tried to reach the surface and the boy stayed over top of him. I saw something was wrong but couldnt quite tell if they were playing or in distress. Thankfully, I assumed the latter, and jumped in (it was only 3 feet where they were) and pulled the boys to the edge, lifting my sons head by the hair to the surface in the process. He was gasping and choking, spitting out water, clearly almost drowned.

Lesson- its not just the weak or non-swimmers who drown, anyone can. You must always make sure that there is someone who keeps an eye on ALL the people in the pool. Im so glad I did, or I might not have my precious Will with me today.

toofast said:
DirtyRat91 said:
In response to the floaties; my wife found these "Puddle Jumpers" which are floaty type supports that strap around the chest, yet buckle in the back. Both of our boys under 3 swim great with these, and there's very little possibility for a scary situation. The boys cannot unbuckle them, and it's a life vest material, so doesn't lose buoyancy. Also not cumbersome, which helps in building kid's confidence. They feel uneasy with a bulky jacket.

Also 2nd the need for vigilance when swimming with non swimmers. Drowning is a very creepy calm occurrence. Rarely is there trashing about and screaming, more often just a poor soul slipping below without breathe. Stay alert!

I second the puddle jumpers...super safe - still have to watch, but at least you know they can't get out of them without help.
I third the puddle jumpers. Still no substitute for constant vigilance though. It only takes seconds for something to go wrong unfortunately and Harleysilo's story just reinforces that even if there are people around accidents can still happen.

Good job Harley. Scary story indeed, even if it did turn out okay.

DirtyRat91 said:
Drowning is a very creepy calm occurrence. Rarely is there trashing about and screaming, more often just a poor soul slipping below without breathe. Stay alert!

This is so true and the way that the movies have portrayed it... it just doesn't happen with someone thrashing, screaming and yelling for help. I almost witnessed my husband's near drowning/death last summer in a river and all I could see was his head bob up and down and I knew it was time to strip down and go get him.

It was one of the scariest moments of my life and realizing what was happening was down right crazy because he never thrashed, screamed or yelled for help and he was in danger of losing his life.

Obviously this is the scariest thing related to our pools. I can relate.

My wife and I bought a house last year (2013) with a pool and we were hosting a pool party. I have 3 nephews, Twin 2 Yo and a 5 yo. We also 2 nieces. 10 and 6. The only one who can swim is the 10 yo. Everything was cool and calm. Everyone having a blast. After eating (Floaties off...) my oldest nephew, age 5 who cannot swim without floaties, decides to walk right over to the deep end of our pool (8ft)and jumped right in without hesitation. My sister screamed his name and everyone tripped over their selves to go after him. He immediately grabbed the side and stood on the angled sidewall which just barely allowed his head to pop above water level. He was snatched out very quickly before he even realized what happened. He literally wasn't in the water for 2-3 seconds.

It totally freaked us out. I actually totally stopped what I was doing and went inside for a few minutes alone because I was so shaken up. Brought to tears. I just thought, "this is my house and I'm supposed to keep these children safe here and WHAT IF..."

Very scary moment. Most adults were brought to tears by the seriousness of the moment. You just have to watch them so closely because things can change very quickly. Even now, I'm choking up thinking about it.

That article should be "stickied".

I'm glad everything turned out okay, and hopefully others can learn from ya'll sharing your stories. Drowning is an often overlooked danger for children. I don't have children of my own, but I will be hosting some @ my house from time to time. It's a concern that is real for me, and it's one of the reasons for the increased security in my backyard. (preventing unauthorized access to the pool).

As a person who nearly drowned as a kid (in my head at least...it may/may not have been as close as I felt it was) I have a significant amount of respect for the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.