Mesa, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-20
So I know this has been talked about 100 times. But, my pool, in Phoenix, AZ has been sitting in the 94 degree range for water temp. I bought a return jet sprayer and I get it down to 88 degrees at night. The pool rises to about 92 during the day again. My question is, will the pool temp ever be able to drop below the outside air temp without a chiller? Recently our low temps have been around 88-90 at night. With that sprayer, technically it won’t get any colder than 88 correct? I also have a sun shade on order I’m gonna put over the pool soon.

Not really. You are also greatly increasing evaporation.

A chiller and using soft water for fill water is ideal. Wish I had planned that in my pool build. I have soft water now, but no chiller. And no good spot to put it.

Not really. You are also greatly increasing evaporation.

A chiller and using soft water for fill water is ideal. Wish I had planned that in my pool build. I have soft water now, but no chiller. And no good spot to put it.
Didn’t realize soft water will be better for fill water. I have the ability to fairly easily hook my soft water up to the fill pipe. So pretty much ditch the sprayer, pipe in my soft water, and just put shade over it the pool?

There are many instances on the forum of evaporation cooling the pool significantly. Especially with your low humidity. Have you been running the sprayer 24/7. Are you maximizing the volume and height of the spray?

Didn’t realize soft water will be better for fill water. I have the ability to fairly easily hook my soft water up to the fill pipe. So pretty much ditch the sprayer, pipe in my soft water, and just put shade over it the pool?
You can use the sprayer. It will help, but not to cool below the night time low temperature.
Use soft water. ASAP. It will keep you from having to drain for CH buildup. The CH in your non softened fill water will nearly triple your CH level in a year in our climate.

There are many instances on the forum of evaporation cooling the pool significantly. Especially with your low humidity. Have you been running the sprayer 24/7. Are you maximizing the volume and height of the spray?
I have only been running it at night for about 10 hours. I have 4 returns. I block the other 3 off, and leave the sprayer on one and it shoots water about 5-6 feet straight up.

You can use the sprayer. It will help, but not to cool below the night time low temperature.
Use soft water. ASAP. It will keep you from having to drain for CH buildup. The CH in your non softened fill water will nearly triple your CH level in a year in our climate.
Funny you say that. I just ran the CH numbers and they are already at 600! So I’ll be doing that project within the week

Reactions: mknauss
You'll get more cooling in the daytime as the temp/dew point spread is greater. I don't think running at night is particularly helpful for an evaporative sprayer

Spray the water higher/ The higher you go, the more "dwell" time you get which, in turn gives you greater evaporation.

My sprayer reached 22-24 feet in height.
poolcooler-jpg.5238

You'll get more cooling in the daytime as the temp/dew point spread is greater. I don't think running at night is particularly helpful for an evaporative sprayer

Spray the water higher/ The higher you go, the more "dwell" time you get which, in turn gives you greater evaporation.

My sprayer reached 22-24 feet in height.
poolcooler-jpg.5238
Interesting, I’ll try to get more loft out of my sprayer and give that a try. Sorry for the stupid question but will it get the temp below the low outside air temp? If the low is 90, and I run the sprayer 24/7 could I get the water temp below 90 with the evaporative cooling?

Remember, your climate, dewpoint, night time temps, etc are vastly different in Phoenix versus the southeast US.

Reactions: Tsteiny

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
but will it get the temp below the low outside air temp?
I have never really thought about it in those terms but, I think so.

I don't think the temp has much to do with it as the spread between the temp and dewpoint is the deciding factor.

If you throw the water high enough you will have evaporation and evaporation gives off heat.

And, for the same reason swamp coolers are effective in AZ, they are ineffective in a humid climate.

Reactions: Tsteiny
I can comment on my experience. With so much aeration, I was worried that my pH would run away and be a constant headache.

In fact, it barely moved. I can't answer why. Also surprised me how little water I lost. Throwing it that high, I couldn't keep all the mist in the pool but the issue was minimal.

Reactions: kellyfair
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.