Drop Suraielec into Intermatic Box?

Joe Potts

Nov 28, 2023
Miami FL
I'm installing a Suraielec pump timer in place of an Intermatic 104 timer. It LOOKS like I can just snap the Suraielec timer into the old Intermatic box and hook it up.
Is that really so?
Short of that, if I take the Intermatic box out to install the Suraielec box, will the (3) mounting holes line up? They ALSO look the same.

I'm installing a Suraielec pump timer in place of an Intermatic 104 timer. It LOOKS like I can just snap the Suraielec timer into the old Intermatic box and hook it up.
Is that really so?
Short of that, if I take the Intermatic box out to install the Suraielec box, will the (3) mounting holes line up? They ALSO look the same.
It should snap into the Intermatic box just like the old mechanism. If the old is a single box, the conduit holes will be the same. If you can use the new enclosure, do so as it will have new weather-stripping to keep the new timer safe from the elements.

All right - I took down the (not very) old Intermatic box, which had 3 mounting screws, like the new Suraielec UBTD02A. NO LUCK: 0 for 3! Spacing between the 2 lower holes was wrong, but so close that new holes COULD NOT be drilled on the same line. Likewise, the mecha did NOT snap into the old box, but it WAS smaller, and so COULD be installed in the old box, but only with extensive jury rigging, which I did not do. I put up the new box connected to the one rigid conduit (other conduit was flexible) using 2 of the 3 mounting screws and it looks like a kludge, but it is sound, and I expect its service life from here to exceed what's left of mine (I'm 78) easily.
The Suraielec seems like very good equipment BUT it is hard to install as noted. New work (as opposed to replacement, like mine) should be easier, as always with new work. The Suraielec is INEXPENSIVE ($45), too.
Thanks for your reply, 1poolman1.

All right - I took down the (not very) old Intermatic box, which had 3 mounting screws, like the new Suraielec UBTD02A. NO LUCK: 0 for 3! Spacing between the 2 lower holes was wrong, but so close that new holes COULD NOT be drilled on the same line. Likewise, the mecha did NOT snap into the old box, but it WAS smaller, and so COULD be installed in the old box, but only with extensive jury rigging, which I did not do. I put up the new box connected to the one rigid conduit (other conduit was flexible) using 2 of the 3 mounting screws and it looks like a kludge, but it is sound, and I expect its service life from here to exceed what's left of mine (I'm 78) easily.
The Suraielec seems like very good equipment BUT it is hard to install as noted. New work (as opposed to replacement, like mine) should be easier, as always with new work. The Suraielec is INEXPENSIVE ($45), too.
Thanks for your reply, 1poolman1.
Guess I should have said the holes "should" be the same. Sorry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.